• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New military Comissary policy for bulk purchases

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I know there are others here - retired and active - who buy most of their groceries at various bases . DECA has just announced a new policy - particularly for bulk purchases.
If you buy in bulk at military commissaries, you should check out the Defense Commissary Agency’s new limits on how many items customers can buy.

Commissaries will no longer accept orders or issue refunds for “unreasonable quantities of items,” DECA announced on its Facebook page Wednesday. https://www.facebook.com/YourCommissary (scroll down to see)

“In general, quantities could be considered unreasonable when they exceed 3 cases or 36 units; this could include frequent or multiple orders/transactions in an attempt to stay below this threshold,” the announcement says.

In other changes, commissaries will no longer allow multiple or split transactions for orders with coupon “overage,” and commissaries will report you if they suspect you are buying too many items, the announcement says.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articl...ounces-new-limits-bulk-purchases-commissaries

Short of prepping or stockpiling why would someone need more than 3 cases of an item?

Short of prepping or stockpiling why would someone need more than 3 cases of an item?

I know families who go thru 3 cases of soda pop in a week. That's not the point tho. It's a form of rationing by federal mandate, even tho I understand the reasons given were to control resale, etc. - which is a very tiny percentage of those who use the commissary.

But quite often active duty units (from the squad to company and squadron level) and others hold various events (bbq, etc.) which they will buy a couple dozen cases of soda pop, burgers, hot dogs, steaks etc. for. This new policy would put a serious crimp in the morale and unit cohesion that such parties are designed to build.

As someone who uses DECA for unit functions, I can tell you that they generally except policies for units, especially functions.

I don't think this is a federal mandate thing. DECA has been having a lot of financial issues lately, and it seems to me they're going the way of the post office, enacting policies that we don't like to stay afloat.

Then again, I don't work for DECA, so I don't really know.

It's also important to note that the policy refers to special orders, not general purchases. Commissaries have a board, usually by the bathrooms, with a special order sheet for things they don't normally carry. That's what appears to be going away in large quantities.

Probably to stop orders that don't get picked up.

I have known families that traveled 2 hours one way to shop at a Commissary. They buy a month's or more groceries at one time (5-6 FULL shopping carts). This may impact them by limiting purchases of certain items.

Good points, I guess it will come down to how they determine what an "unreasonable' quantity is.

If they have people making orders and not picking them up then they should just blacklist those people or require payment/deposit up front with no refunds on special order.

Although I can I have not been to the px in 4 years as it is such a long drive. .Do they post prices online? I would like to buy ammo if it's cheaper than Walmart. .My Uncle Sam IS a great guy but a little' economical' with the pension...

I'm kind of disappointed in the PX and Commissary.
They don't seem to have competative pricing on many items anymore the only real savings I find in my area seems to be in Meat and Tobacco products.
They do have Case Sales monthly here and then the prices seem to be better.

This is huge in Korea, Ration Control. This is to prevent black market Groceries, alcohol and tobacco from being sold to the Nationals or foreigners, other Americans that do not rate Base privileges. Also, I have seen Service members or their dependents purchase in bulk to stock their stores or restaurants for a larger profit here in the states around Marine Corps bases and Army Posts.

I don't think military bases stock firearms or ammo anymore like they used to years ago. Although it might be up to the local installation. The one here doesn't.

Here's the main page for all the Exchanges, http://shop.aafes.com/shop/

and the Commissary page, http://www.commissaries.com/

Gunny,
Camp Pendleton, and MCAGCC, 29 Palms sells firearms, though you have the Communist state of California "10 day cooling off period" . Retired out here in GA. Fort Stewart and Ft Gordon sell firearms. ammo selection sucks though.

Pops out

Back