• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why is the 835 so cheap?

So my boss bought his 835 used for under $200 from a friend. I bought my first 835 combo with slug barrel for $325 in excellent condition. I bought my second 835 nib with over $100 in chokes for $300 even. Then my two buddies also picked up 835s for similar prices.

Now I go online and I see people selling their Mossberg 500s for higer prices than this and I am confused. Why is the 835, which seems like a more versatile, robust gun less expensive?

SSSHhhhhhhh...

I don't know but I love my 835. With a couple part swaps I can use any 500 barrel for whatever and then switch back to thew 835 barrel for the extra firepower for turkey, ducks, etc.

Doooood! Don't be lettin the cat outa the bag now. If the masses find out we'll be up sh#ts creek without a paddle.

My guess is because its like the old chevy vs gmc truck fiasco....both the same but gmc is better and cheaper. ;)

I think a lot of people buy the 835 then find out it's overboard and they can't shoot slugs before finding out like mike said you can swap barrels they just dump em

In my opinion it's in how the 835 is marketed.

To the general public the 835 is a specialized waterfowl or turkey gun, whereas the 500 is more of an all-purpose shotgun. Folks think Mossberg, they think 500...

SSSHhhhhhhh...

I don't know but I love my 835. With a couple part swaps I can use any 500 barrel for whatever and then switch back to thew 835 barrel for the extra firepower for turkey, ducks, etc.

What do you have to swap out on an 835 to put a 500 barrel in?

What do you have to swap out on an 835 to put a 500 barrel in?
The magazine tubes. The barrels attach differently.

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

835 barrels are pretty cheap though. You can pick up a security barrel or a used slug barrel for around $100 or less if you look hard enough.

Back