• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag Tube locktite ?

The General

Copper BB
Took my 500 apart to paint and I had to heat up the mag tube threads to get it apart.
My friend says I need locktite that needs to be heated to be disassembled.
Is this true. I can't find any heat locktite.
Which locktite do I use when I put it back together?

Don't use anything on it. When I refinished my 835 I didn't use anything and it has never come loose from use. Just snug it up hand tight. You can check it each time you clean the gun but i doubt it will ever work lose.

Note that I remove mine frequently as I use different barrels that require different length mag tubes and still have never had a problem.

^ What they said.

No need for loctite at all. Only thing it's gonna do for you is make it a pain in the @$$ to disassemble for cleaning...

Even if the tube could loosen it cant get past the barrel lug so not an issue

The red locktite requires heat to remove it. But as others have said, it is unnecessary

Not sure what mossberg uses but its not red loctite. It only required a little bit of heat to come loose. Using red loctite would be a real pain if you had to losen it later. So stay away from the thread lockers !

Not sure what mossberg uses but its not red loctite. It only required a little bit of heat to come loose. Using red loctite would be a real pain if you had to losen it later. So stay away from the thread lockers !

That actually sounds promising. My 500 has that red goop on the tube. I kind of want to get it off so I can easily remove the tube down the line if I ever have to. What do you mean by a little bit of heat? Are you talking about something like a hair dryer being sufficient enough to get it off?

Remember "red, white, blue". Red to lock, white to seal, blue to hold. Loctite (brand name) 271 is red and usually requires heat to loosen, white is PTFE (Teflon) paste and used on water or air fittings, blue is 242 and would probably be the most suitable for a tube that might be removed in the future. I can't verify but I would assume Mossberg uses red on the tube because there should not be any reason to remove it...

As mentioned above by others, NO locking compound would probably be OK for an eNthUsiasT, given that you will take better care of your gun and notice if the mag tube is backing out...

PS: and most locking compounds are anerobic, and will not "cure" (harden) in the presence of air, so a little dab 'l do ya...

when I got my tube off, the stuff (tech term) on the threads seemed white. for sure it was not blue nor red. I chose not to clean the threads and also to not add any thread locker at all. I will make sure to check for tightness regularly just in case.

To be honest if I were going to use anything I think blue would be fine.
The problem you'll find is the force necassary to break the seal on the threads could potentially be enough to damage the tube depending on the tools you may be using.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

Please someone explain to me why anyone would need to have Locktite on the threads of a 500's mag tube?
The tube CANNOT move since, on the other end, it has the Barrel of the gun screwed into it.
The mag tube will NEVER move.

I suppose the vibration from the firing might be able to do it. but just as you surmise, I doubt the tube would come loose much if any at all. this is why I chose to not use any locker and will just check for looseness, well, just because I can.

Please someone explain to me why anyone would need to have Locktite on the threads of a 500's mag tube?
The tube CANNOT move since, on the other end, it has the Barrel of the gun screwed into it.
The mag tube will NEVER move.

I'm thinking irregardless of the facts you have stated, some folks will want to have some sort of thread lock in there just because it came with something similar from the factory.

Back