• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month. August 2014 (Poll Question)

GPS or a Map & Compass

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

GPS or Map & Compass?
Which do you rely on?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

For now its GPS. Just so quick and easy. And only really use it to travel. Obviously a map and compass cant tell you how to get to find the local gun shop. Or take you to a residential address. Well okay maybe they can. But that requires the proper map for the location you desire. I will say that i have successfully relied on and used a map and compass when I got turned around Turkey hunting several years ago. But as a general rule I don't get far enough from civilization to become lost either.

Both. As convenient as a GPS is, it can and will break, die, loose sat reception etc at some point. Navigating in the dark can suck the power down quickly in a GPS, I know from experience. I would say a map and compas are a valuable skill that will keep you on track when technology fails you. I always have a compass with me when off the beaten path.

On the flip side, I have been saved a few time on the snowmobile trail by my GPS and I have used it a LOT for making fish locations as well as hunting sign.

Both. GPS is the everyday. It's faster and ties in with other things. But technology can breakdown, run out of power, or get shut off by .... You should know how to map & compass just in case. That and a little "woods craft" could get you out of a jam.

GPS as primary with map and compass as back-up for driving. Map and compass only for hiking, camping, etc...

I'm in the "both" crowd. Use GPS if I need to but use online maps for driving directions. I print out online terrain maps for hunting or hiking and carry a compass (actually two). I carry a map book on the bike and in the truck (both have GPS as well). A map is good but can't tell you where you are at if you don't know. A GPS is great as long as everything is working correctly. I think the two go hand in hand just as a lighter and a flint fire starter do...

I voted BOTH as well, since it really depends on the application (for me anyway):

For off-roading/camping/hiking trips: I prefer a good 'ol fashioned map, as long as they are not too outdated - GPSes rarely show all the roads/routes/trails that we like to explore, and I have been stuck in BAD situations after following what my GPS listed as a "road/trail".

I also use an app on my phone called PDFMaps which allows you to upload actual PDF Topo maps, and it tracks your position using the phone's GPS (even w/o network signal). I HIGHLY recommend this App to anyone & everyone

For Search & Rescue: We have to take Land Nav and Orienteering training annually. For that I use my Silva Ranger compass and a ruler/protractor. We also have to be proficient in using a handheld GPS in addition to basic map/compass techniques. While on an active Search, it is much faster, easier, and more accurate to relay coordinates using a hand-held GPS to the IC.

For Navigating around town: I use my Garmin 60CSx or GoogleMaps on my phone to find my destination.

I rely on a gps, a back up gps, and fall back on maps. Most the time at work I use a gps, map and compass in combination. gps and maps must show topography

The latest and greatest in wildfire is IPad....really cool with all maps loaded working with Google earth and gps internal. It started with our aviation folks and is quickly spreading among the ground troops. I should have an IPad Mini sitting on my desk when I get back to work tomorrow

Last edited:
Other as well; Google Earth when dreaming, paper maps when planning, GPS when walking with Map and Compass always available. Old enough to remember when I used to teach Navigation and used to say it would be good to have something that said "You are Here." Well same age has shown me that batteries go flat, Compass can be affected by outside, sometimes unseen factors and maps can be destroyed/left behind/ be on other sheet that is not in kit. End of day I always test against Sun, lay of ground and instinct. Worked for 60 years and not let me down yet, despite what has been thrown against me.

GPS simply due to ease of use and availability. But it is kinda sad... if the "system" ever goes down, no one will know which way to turn. Its like back in the day I could dial every person I knew by feel on the keypad... now I'm lucky if I remember my own cell number.

Back