• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MAINE BEAR HUNT

Bear bait season starts tomorow here in Maine and man am I excited! This will be the first year I go up against a bear with the Mossberg 500. Going to be using the brenneke green lighting slugs.

Anyone on here got a bear story?

Heres my site full of bear goodies.

I hunted here in MI a couple years ago using my 500C. I never saw a bear while hunting but have a plethora of trail cam pics of a mom and cubs eating my bait after dark.

On one pic I missed them by only a few minutes. Probably for the better the one bear I didn't want to see was a mom with cubs.

Great looking site.

If we were allowed to bait, or hunt over bait here, or even have a season when it's not in the middle of December (no I'm not kidding), I could rack up.

Envious.

Please share pics when you cross paths. And if you aren't going to mount it, I'd be interested in a few toenails if you're not going to be using them.

Here's another quick vid of my stand I put up.

Just put down 5 gallons of grease and some anise oil extract all over the trees :D

I'll be at my sight the next 3 weeks alot and will be recording any bear that enters my sight and will keep you guys posted.

This might be the last year you can hunt over bait in Maine...hopefully the bill doesn't pass :/

Quick view from the top.

Burnt a bunch of honey today and put more dog food down, hopefully the bears come in this week.

If you want to attract any nearby bears, buy a bottle of molasses, get a spray bottle and pour the molasses into the bottle and fill the rest of it with hot water so the water melts the molasses and liquifies it.

Then spray your entire area with it.

Don't spray the ground. Spray the undergrowth and leaves so the smell is up off of the ground and can carry in the wind.

That is a great idea and will give that a shot friday when I check the site. I've been doing that with anise oil and vanilla, but no luck yet.

If there is a bear around and it smells any of the sweet stuff blowing on the wind, it will come.

If no bears come, there are no bears near there.

It is that simple.

I've seen skat and a few tracks in the area and a coworker saw one cross the road a mile or so away. Just got to get them in my area and get their pads wet with grease and spread the scent.

Here's an update. Went scouting up this mountain a mile away from the other site and found the mother load of skat from deer, moose, coyote, and most importantly, BEAR. So I set up a nice little bait site in an area where a stump had recently been tore up for grubs, feelin' confident here.

View from the top with the 464 SPX. A little hazy today then it started down pourin' so I had to leave a little early. There's been some action here. Hopefully I get the killshot video.

Freshly baited with 70 pounds fryaltor grease, popcorn, marshmellow, strawberry jam, anise and vanilla, twizzlers, beaver castor. I've pulled out all the tricks...3 more days...hope that big boar comes through and tears up that stump again before I have to leave my sniper perch at dark.

Nice. Hope you can connect in the last few days.

Back