• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

unloading issue

mbshop

.270 WIN
havn't used my shotgun much at all. but taking it apart and practicing loading and unloading I have noticed
a small issue. when I push in on the cartridge stop lever to release the shell the shell comes out a bit and then stops. seems that it hangs up on the elevator assembly. if I lift up on the shell just a tad the shell comes out.
I'm thinking that I should just file the edge off of the elevator assembly but will wait for advice. thanks,

Before filing anything I would try shooting the gun some and then try some different brand shells.;)

Simply put, the mechanism is designed to operate under force.

Unloading the tube by pushing in on the stop to release rounds only utilizes one part of several that are intended to work together under normal operation. I wouldn't recommend filing anything or altering the elevator to accommodate something like this. Instead, I would suggest picking up some dummy rounds or making your own from spent shells. This way you can safely practice loading/unloading using the action itself...

well, not ever really shooting other shotguns I'm not familiar with how they operate nor the 500 for sure. but I have just finished practicing with different brands and different loads. they all hanged up on the elevator assembly. I have come to the conclusion that its operating properly and even if it isn't, I like it. the few times I got a shell to unload without hanging up the shell slammed my thumb. not a great feeling. soon as it cools down a bit i will go shooting. thanks for the answers.

I just watched a bunch of videos on unloading. most showed the shells just coming all the way out. but this video shows exactly what mine does so again, it shows that my gun is operating properly.

Mine does that , hangs up....little flick of the thumb and it drops out. Used to kinda bother me but anymore I don't even pay attention to it

Bought a new 590A1 two months ago and mine had the same problem but worse. I also had problems loading shells. They also would hang up. I purchased a a new elevator from Brownells which made no difference. I brought my shotgun back to my dealer who then shipped it back to Davidsons. Its been two months now and still waiting. I have 3 other Mossbergs and they are fine and the elevator design has seemed to change. Thing that bothers me most is that when I brought my new shotgun home I tore it down for a cleaning as I always do with a new firearm the internals were full of grease and metal chips.

Mine was made in the 70s . Well, I assume this as mossberg is of no help on this subject. The newer ones might be differant.

The only change to the 500 since 1970 is they went to a duel bar action slide.

The looks of the elevator are different. All my other Mossberg shotguns a flat type of bottom of the elevator and the 590A1 and new elevator I purchased and have sent back to Brownells have a it hard to describe but a higher profile and looks different where the shell slided accross it. The elevator arm has the standard looking lip in the center that the rim of the shells need to pass over to enter the tube, it looks like the 590A1 has a more pronounced or higher lip with a hump than my other Mossbergs. The rims of the shells hang up when loading and unloading.

My older Mossbergs dont have the hump on the elevator and that is where the rims of the shells get hung up on. I just emailed Davidsons with the question whats up with my shotgun? I was surprised when I got a reply asking me for info and them replying that they will and do update the dealers (my dealer said there is no way he can get info from them) he said he has tried before. So when I get my shotgun back my dealer will be my former dealer.

I got tired of waiting and emailed Davidsons on Monday, got a response within 2 hours. Got a call from my dealer friday night and was told a new 590A1 was ready for me to pick up. This shotgun works great. No hangups and was free of grease and metal chips when I dissassembled it to clean it. Recoil pad was different on this gun, it was the waffle type that I have on my other model 500's instead of the solid type that was on my original 590A1. Dosent matter because I had already purchased a Limbsaver for it. What the cause of the hangups when loading and unloading is still unknown to me.

The elevator looks the same as the shotgun I sent back. When unloading the shells sometimes they will slightly rub on the elevator which is fine with me. On the shotgun I sent back the shells would stick both when unloading and loading. I also had to work the slide as fast and as hard as I could or the shells would not drop down to the elevator to be lifted up to feed into the chamber. I will take some pics of the old style from the 1990's vs new elevator and post them.

Hi-volume gun manufacturing being what it is, some mfgs build a certain level of "tightness" into their guns and count on the use of the gun to "break it in". I like to tear-down a new (or used) gun and look to see where rubbing is going on and smooth those areas with a file, fine emery cloth or deburr wheel.

Breaking in a gun should not involve actually breaking the gun... ;)

Certain areas like the sear, for example, should not be smoothed down.

Very true. Thus my thinking that I really don't have a problem but that I also have to put some shells through it. I have only put a couple through it when I first got it. Then it became a closet queen due
to my job change.

Back