• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX FDE Scout

JSchool

Copper BB
First time poster here.

I decided to embark on a project a while back using the (infamous) Mossberg 464 SPX as a basis for a lever action scout rifle. Being the only lever action with a collapsible stock I thought it would be an ideal platform. All the work is finally done on it, so I thought I'd share it here.

The 464 SPX already looks like a space cowboy rifle. I guess this is more Mad Max. The full list of changes are as follows:

* Cerakoted to Magpul flat dark earth finish
* XS Systems scout rail (when I purchased this, it was not listed on their site but they do make one)
* Magpul stock
* RISR (many people have mentioned the chin rest on the original is too low, I find this much more comfortable)
* Magpul picatinny rail covers (I almost removed the side and bottom rails entirely but couldn't find a good rubberized replacement)
* Skinner ring site
* Quick release scope rings (cerakoted to match) with LER 2-7x32 scope
* Saddle ring installed ( I have a hundred year old Winchester 30-30 - just doesn't feel right without one)

And, here's some pictures of the finished project. Hopefully this forum auto scales. If not, I'll try to fix it.

IMGP0086.JPG

IMGP0087.JPG

IMGP0093.JPG

IMGP0096.JPG

Haven't fired it yet! Sent it off for painting a week after I received it. Since it came back, a couple days ago, it's been either raining or too hot and humid. Indoor rifle range opens next week though and it will be long enough for me to zero it in and give it a go.

I *may* take it to a local smith and have the secondary safety under the lever disabled first, though.

Be sure to let us know how she shoots when you're able to get out.

Just a heads-up, having the safety disabled will void your factory warranty and you'll be on your own should anything on the rifle fail down the road. Just put'n it out there...

Really nicely done project. I am real curious how the skinner sight shoots with the factory front sight. In another post I'm having difficulty with shooting high on a skinner that I think is lower than yours!! You could be a huge help.

It looks like this was posted a while back, not sure how I missed it, but...

That is a mighty fine looking 464 SPX, any Zombie should feel honored to get shot with it...

Like your set up..I just got my 464 spx....
I really like to know where did you get that saddle ring ....seems I'm having a hard time finding it... Pls advise

The OP hasn't posted in over a year, but that's a Magpul CTR stock.

A Larue Tactical RISR (cheek riser) is fitted on top and it looks like the OP also opted for the Magpul .70" enhanced butt pad...

First time posting, I would really like to purchase this rifle, but I'd like to know how it shoots. Good, bad, and ugly? Haha both the rifles pictured are what I'd like to eventually do to my own. Cool rifles, excited about being here.

CB

Welcome to the forum from NY. I don't own one but I'm sure someone will chime in here and be able to help you.

Back