• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tents

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Been looking into a few backpacking tents recently and I figured we needed a tent thread. If anyone has any tent questions or has a favorite they'd like to share post 'em up here.

I've researched and compared a lot of one-man tents for backpacking trips and have zeroed in on the Snugpak Ionosphere...

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/tents-shelters/ionosphere

The IONOSPHERE™ by Snugpak® is an extremely small and compact 1 person shelter. The IONOSPHERE™ has a very low profile and is great for those looking for a 1 person shelter to keep out of the elements. Just like THE BUNKER™, the SCORPION 3™ and SCORPION2™ the IONOSPHERE™ also too has a 5000mm PU Coated Fly.

The IONOSPHERE™ has a single entry point, No-See-Um-Mesh and all seams are seam taped. A very impressive small compact shelter by anyones standard.

FEATURES

• Flysheet is a lightweight 210t Polyester RipStop with a 5000mm waterproof polyurethane coating
• Inner shelter constructed of 190t Nylon with Polyester Mesh
• 50D Polyester No-See-Um-Mesh
• 190t Nylon PU 5000mm groundsheet
• DAC® Featherlite NSL® anodized poles with pressfit connectors
• All DAC® Poles are made from TH72M aluminum
• 1 Door
• All seams are taped sealed
• Alloy Stakes (14 + 2 Spare Stakes)
• Available in Olive Outer with Black Inner only

DIMENSIONS

• Length - 95" inner tent/ 105" rainfly
• Width - 36" (tent at shoulders) / 40" rainfly
• Head height - 28" at pole
• Foot height - 18" at pole
• Pack Size - 5" x 16.5"
• Pack Weight - 3.4 lbs

It looks like a great, compact option and perfect for what I'm looking for. It'll be mostly for fall and early winter before it gets too cold here in these Tennessee hills. I've seen several cheaper options out there, but have read too many negative reviews about snapped poles, torn walls, and dripping condensation on the knock-offs. I'll likely be ordering the Ionosphere very soon and will follow-up with an initial review as well as a longer term review after some overnight use in the field...

ive been using my Slumberjack Predator, for hunting trips and recreational campouts for around 15 years now. its discontinued. but this is very similar. and i'm thinking about getting one. only major difference is the the rain fly on this one extends out farther than my original Slumberjack.

my original will fit on top of a cot, and i really liked the overhead storage loft, and gun scabbard on the right side. also opened at both sides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Man-WOO...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item2a350d4c49

yeah the sleeves for the poles are full length. so quick and easy to set up, and very sturdy

...now there's something I need to do...take pics of my tents !!

I own a North Face Stormbreak one person backpacking tent and a Eureka Tetragon 5 person dome...

NFCTS1.jpg

t400_4675118ed360155efd5308941b15d5f4.jpg

I looked at that Stormbreak by The North Face in my search.

How d'you like it?

It looks like a nice purpose built backpacking tent at a great price. The only thing I didn't really like about it was that, like most other sporting goods manufacturers, the tent and rainfly colors are crazy bright. I get that it's so that campsites would be more easily spotted from the air if backpackers get lost, but I'm looking for something a little more subdued that will double as a good survival/ bug-out shelter. To me the ability to hide your shelter in that situation is a big plus...

@Gunned down, was it really less than a minute to set up as advertised? I like the design but cant help but think that being that quick would take practice. And what conditions did you camp in?

I'm in canada usually late fall so temps around 5 to -4 c pretty heavy brush took me more than a minute but maybe 5 min max only down fall is you have to seal the seams yourself. Not hard to do and they sell a good product for doing it but if your looking lightweight this is it they have other styles I went with this one because of the possibility of snow

Used the Snugpak Ionosphere this past weekend on an overnighter out on the Cumberland Plateau...

It set up super quick and easy. The two pole design is a lot sturdier than I though it would be and there was plenty of tension on the rain fly...

Here's a shot of the inside...

There's definitely no doing cartwheels in this thing, but it was plenty comfortable for me. When it comes to a no nonsense shelter to keep you warm and dry the Ionosphere gets the job done...

I used to absolutely love my one man bivvy, but after using it a couple times this summer I realised how easy it was to put pants on standing up! Lol. Good feedback though. Thanks.

One of the guys on this trip had a pretty serious hammock rig...

They're not for me though. I prefer to keep to the ground...

Hammocks are OK in the warm months. But you don't want them when it's cold. That's why bridges freeze before the roadway.

Not this old boy. If it's that cold, you'll find me in a cave with a toasty fire.

Back