• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 longevity/durability?

garry owen

Copper BB
Hello! New to the forum and new owner of a "like new" Maverick 88 12 gauge 8-shot. I am wanting to know how long users have had one, your approximate round count, and if you have had any problems with the gun. In mine I have so far shot about 100 rounds, mostly birdshot, and the only problems were with hard ejection with the cheap Winchester bulk pack shells and as I understand that's pretty normal. Anyway I like the gun and would just like to know how tough it is. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Sir.

Don't own one personally, but as long as I've been roaming the halls of this forum I don't recall seeing many Mav 88 issues at all. I'm sure some of our members with first-hand knowledge will chime in soon. I just wanted to drop in and say hello...

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your"new to you" MAV88.

I've had one that I've owned for a couple of years. Maybe 2,000 rounds through it? It's been great, but it wasn't, at first. I got several fail-to-fires. Sent the gun back to Mossberg. They replaced the trigger assembly and it's been perfect since. I was impressed enough by both the performance and the customer service that I bought another one. :) None of the same problems with the second one. That one probably has had 500 rounds through it. No issues. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have had my maverick for over ten years and probably thousands of rounds through it. Never so much as a hiccup!

Have owned mine for three years and before buying my o/u I was using it at the trap range. Have put over 1500 rounds through it and no issues mind you all low brass. Hopefully it will see some high brass this hunting season.

With proper maintenance mavs will last a very long time. Be sure to clean and oil frequently. Welcome to the forum.

Have owned mine for about 1.5 years. The only issue I have seen is that she does not like Winchester Walmart Special Black Box Birdshot. I have had 2 rounds that the brass expanded and got stuck in the chamber after firing. She eats Remington Slugger 1oz Deer Slugs like I eat Oreos. That issue was with the brass and not the gun, I believe (I have seen similar reports on YouTube with the same cheap ammo).

Have owned mine for three years and before buying my o/u I was using it at the trap range......

I assume you're referring to the long barrel model with the ventilated rib. I have the 18.5" cyl bore tactical that I would love to read that you used at the trap range so I won't feel so foolish when I take mine there.

I assume you're referring to the long barrel model with the ventilated rib. I have the 18.5" cyl bore tactical that I would love to read that you used at the trap range so I won't feel so foolish when I take mine there.
I have the 28" field barrel which at the trap range I use a modified choke and for deer hunting I've been using the 18.5" smooth bore barrel with federal truball slugs. The guys with their two grand Brownings will scoff at a Mossberg pump but whatever, that isn't in my budget.

I've had mine for about 12 years. It gets used only for trap shooting. There are times when I've taken off for more than a year ... but on the whole, it has had several thousand rounds through it and they've all been problem free

Back