• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Does not want to eject the spent casings all the way! Some stay in and get jammed and some get spit out like normal. Makes no difference in brands of ammo. Cleaned it. Lubed it. Is there a fix? PLEASE HELP!!!

that was why mine went back to mossberg for a second time...it still wasn't perfect and was sold...now i'm looking for a s&w 15-22.

I just bought a brand new 715T with the carry handle. Got FTF after every round. Very odd, bullets would just get stuck on the closest magazine lip to the barrel. Starting out I could handle cycle the rounds just fine, only when I fired the rifle did this issue happen. I have release the mag and work the bullet out from the second magazine lip. I contacted Mossberg and the first time they said they would email me a shipping label. 3 days later, nothing. Called back and then they said there was no record and to re-explain my issue. Guy on the phone said that it was a problem with my barrel and that barrels were on back order. I was thinking "wait what?". Said he would call me back once he sorted out getting me another shipping label. Then I get a call from the original person, Alex, who said he couldn't send my shipping label, email issue, gave him another two and it sent fine. I have since shipped the gun out with everything that came with it and decided to email him asking if I could swap it for the flattop model in the hopes that it won't have as many issues being a second generation version of the rifle (plus it just looks better than the original in my opinion). You guys know what are the chances of them doing this for me as I have not gotten a response to my email. Any tips you guys have?

I bought a 715t for my son awhile back and always had issues with it jamming or not feeding. This is what I did. I have a drum ell with a small stone attached to the end. I took the bolt out and got to just the barrell. At the bottom of the barrell whee the round slides in to the bore of the barell . I grinded a s,mall incline so the round has no place to go but in the barrel. It worked . No more issues.

I dont have much of a feed issue. I have constant stove pipes though. Tried cleaning but it just keepes up with the stovepiping. What can i do? I got it from 2nd owner so i dont think i can get mossberg to fix it. Hoping i dont have a lemon. Sometimes its fine for a mag full, but then click. Anybody got a fix for me?

Jcorona, the flat top is exactly the same as the handle, just a different shell. i wanted the different shell because i could not get it sighted in. it would shoot low. i had the rear maxxed one way and the front maxxed the other. On mine's first trip back to mossberg, i asked to buy the flat top shell and was told no, as they are not for sale. before i boxed it up, i wrote a detailed letter of all the issues i was having, fail to feed, fail to ejects, and the inability to correctly sight in. It was returned as a flat top.

DtheBruce? is the bolt sticking open in the locked open position? that was the problem i had. mossberg replaced the fire control group. i was the first owner and it was less than a month old so it was warranty work, you may have to pay, but i would think mossberg would try to repair it. I say try as i don't have much faith in them or these rifles...i've sold mine and bought a s&w 15-22

I've been having the exact same problems with the bolt staying open after every shot and accuracy being all over the paper.

I bought my 13 year old son a carry handle model from Cabela's last month. He's rather small framed still and the adjustable stock fits him better than the standard 702 plinkster model. He thinks its cooler looking also :D

Before taking it to the range the first time I cleaned and lubed the bore and receiver as best I could without taking off the plastics.

We have a 3x9x40mm scope attached and laser bore sighted and 2x25round mags. First trip to the range it started off firing OK except for a few jams while feeding. At shorter range, like 7 yards it was fairly accurate but at 25 yards it was all over the paper. Then it started holding the bolt open after every couple of shots. We went home and broke it down and cleaned it really well.

Next time at range started at 50 yards to zero the scope and got the shots within 6" of center. After switching to another target the shots were totally off from before and all over the paper. Also the whole time the bolt would lock open after every shot so I basically had to shoot it like a bolt action. I also had a couple of jams while feeding.

Cabela's won't take returns on firearms so I'm stuck with dealing with the manufacturer. I sent Mossberg an email and they replied to ship the rifle in (prepaid and insured) to them for an examination and if there is a fee involved they will contact me prior to performing the service.

I would have returned this rifle to Cabela's 2 days after purchasing it if I could because it is defective and bought something else, but instead I have to pay to send it to the manufacturer and hopefully get it working correctly.

defective or design flaws...good luck with it...i sold mine after it's second visit to mossberg within the first 3 months that i had it(less than 200 rds before the second trip back) and ended with the smith m&p 15-22...much better designed rifle, easier to disassemble for cleaning as well as the sight are not mounted to a shell that can move.

Not sure how many people are still having the loose bolt handle trouble, but here is my solution. Two 0-ring washer from the plumbing aisle rolled down the handle to fill the space between the handle and the plate. Similar solution to the Ziptie solution except this is better because the rubber rings will squish so you can still use the lock-on feature. My bolt was locking back after every shot. After this 'fix' it didn't happen once in over 500 rounds, even when rapid firing 25 shots in a row (I had 1 jam because of a broken bullet in 500). I was expecting to have to replace the washers frequently, but after 500 rounds they still look brand new. Hope this helps somebody.
DSCN1458.jpg
I'm new to the forum so if this is posted in the wrong spot, maybe someone could move it to the proper place.
DSCN1458.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sask, nice fix man. I have to do that to mine. After 3k rounds, mine started locking back on it's own all the time. At least 10 times per magazine. I'll give the o ring thing a try!

Remember what size o-rings you bought?

Sask, nice fix man. I have to do that to mine. After 3k rounds, mine started locking back on it's own all the time. At least 10 times per magazine. I'll give the o ring thing a try!

Remember what size o-rings you bought?
Sorry, just some I had around the house from an assorted pack from years ago. I just measured one and the inside diameter is 3/8" if that helps.

Had mine out yesterday for the first time and the bolt locked open after every round so it became a single shot...lol ! Sighted it in at 50 yards and it is very accurate. Will try the O-ring fix tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Re. 715 jams, misfeeds
I was having a problem with my 715T ejecting properly. I came across this video on YouTube, which worked great for me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bh2mQ9Yu0)

Please note I was able to file down this part, without breaking down the rifle, by using a small, flat metal file. After that, I cleaned and oiled the rifle, went to the range and fired off 150 rounds with just two misfeeds! It worked for me and hopefully might work for you. Happy shooting!

I bought one of these for my son. Worst rifle I have ever bought. Jams, FTF everything bad that can occur did, both with 10 and 25 round mag.
Sent it back to Mossberg, the replaced the barrel (took 4 months, said it was a known issue). Got it back, much better but still issues. (Of course charging handle was always loose, just SHODDY workmanship/design)
Sold it and bought him a 10-22
Has yet to jam.
Mossberg should fix each and every rifle to where it functions correctly. This has WAY too many problems. It is pathetic they allowed such a bad rifle to be made.

I have heard that. I have one and only one and based on all I have heard, don't plan on another. I don't want to be frustrated.

Had mine out yesterday for the first time and the bolt locked open after every round so it became a single shot...lol ! Sighted it in at 50 yards and it is very accurate. Will try the O-ring fix tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
Slight delay in shooting but got out today and ran 100 rounds thru the 715t. Not once did the bolt lock. That rubber oring really did the job !!! BTW not one misfire nor one jam of any kind.

Back