• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Workbench... literally.

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I thought I remembered seeing a thread about workshops... but this is more specific to your actual workbench. I'm looking for ideas on how to make mine better and more user friendly, and since it'll be a pain in the a$$ to move, I'd much rather repurpose my current bench than build a new one.

I'll be adding some shelves to the wall, as well as some pegboard for securing small tools. This bench will mostly be used for gun builds, tinkering and other gun related things (like reloading!) So I'm trying to think of a good chemical resistant topper for my bench... right now it's just hard plywood or particle board. My first idea was buying some of that garage floor paint and using that (I may even do the garage, not sure?)

Short of spending lots of $$$ on a piece of steel... what would you guys suggest. Lets see some pics of your "man bench".

don't have a dedicated work bench for the guns, just an old desk, and tv tray. When the mods get serious though I pack out to my big steel table in the barn. with the vice. My one suggestion will definitely be some type of magnetic mat. Ive seen some nice vinyl coated oil and solvent resistant ones in the RC world.

http://www.timesavershop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MagPanel1212

I picked up a couple of these from one of the tool guys at the last place I worked. Pretty handy.

http://www.cowrc.com/store/#!/Magnetic-Mats/c/1908090

And these even have dividers.

Last edited:
Having worked most of my my professional life working on metal workbenches I would not recommend it. I much prefer a nice top of half inch outdoor plywood. You can always get a small piece of metal if needed. Also I prefer carpet to catch screws as some screws and parts are not magnetic.

I have 2 benches - primarily designed for woodworking. One I made out of plywood using a plan from a magazine (which I still have if you're interested), and a small antique maple bench I picked up at an estate sale and restored/added underbench drawers, etc. Either could be used for gun work with little modification to the top.

Pics:

Small antique bench (easily breaks down for transporting). The design back in the early 1900's was known as a student bench for shop classes. Very sturdy. The vise is not original. Moved that to my big bench.

benchcab3.jpg~original

Big homemade bench with vise from the above. Also have a couple other vises mounted on plywood that I clamp to the bench when needed:

viseonbench.jpg~original

Based on this plan:

pb1.jpg~original

74474cd97d48f7090c3d8bf5f9422d5b.jpg

This will be my reloading/firearms modification workbench. My hobbies have outgrown the spare room in the house, so I've decided to move the work area out my small barn. Which in time will be transformed into my man cave.

Thanks, best part was all the wood was a freebie, provided courtesy of the caterpillar shipping department, Peoria Illinois

Freebie stuff even better! I too have a rc background ,still have a few been into the hobby since 1988 anyway I hope to be building myself a new bench shortly lol all I need is another hobby! Love the CAT stool by the way!

Ive got a John Deere one also. They were Christmas presents last year. Available at Rural King.

rural king is kind of like tractor supply and walmart had a baby. similar to a big R. if any of those are still around.

I book marked rural king and checked out the store really good deals there! Still waiting for the $$ to build my bench.

Back