• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 - normal or defect?

so just got a new 590A1 and noticed something weird.
with an empty mag and empty chamber, if i push the slide release, rack the pump back half way, stop, and try to continue racking back after that, it gets stuck, every single time. I have to push it all the way forward to free it up.

if i rack the whole thing back in one go, it works fine, every single time.

is this normal or a defect?

Search here at MO for "500 disassembly" and you should find how to take it down and clean it, then oil/lube sparingly which is a start. If you know what you are doing, you can smooth the action parts, otherwise they will eventually "break in" and get easier to cycle.

MODS: remove the other two redundant posts...thx

with an empty mag and empty chamber, if i push the slide release, rack the pump back half way, stop, and try to continue racking back after that, it gets stuck, every single time. I have to push it all the way forward to free it up.

So nice you posted thrice!

Howdy mossberguser001, thanx for your interest in our forum. In the future, there is no need to post the same topic in multiple sub-forums.
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules-and-guidelines.11727/

Mine is a few year old and I never tried what you described. It didn't come close to doing what you described. When you rack it all the way back in one motion do you feel resistance at that mid point?

If it was me I would grab a flashlight and visually inspect as best as you can for interferences. Then I would disassemble, clean and oil per the link above, taking care to look for any dirt, damaged part or perhaps a burr on a part. Reassemble and try again. If it still does that but otherwise operates fine I would run a 100+ hundred rounds through it and see if it went away or got better.

Keep us posted. Lastly, welcome aboard from PA!

it's probably the action rods coming in contact with the cartridge stop and interruptor. The rods have to go over those components to release the cartridge into the elevator. After about 1,000 rounds those parts wear in and it becomes much smoother.

it's probably the action rods coming in contact with the cartridge stop and interruptor. The rods have to go over those components to release the cartridge into the elevator. After about 1,000 rounds those parts wear in and it becomes much smoother.

^ This.

...except mine wore in with much fewer than 1000 rounds... ;)

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses and warm welcome!

So nice you posted thrice!

They can be a bit stiff when new.
Is there a reason you are stopping half way?
-it is not just stiff when i perform the action i stated above, but it is actually stuck from coming back any further
-I am just function testing it

I'm sorry, that wasn't very helpful, have you cleaned and oiled it yet?
I have not cleaned it or oiled it. I dont see how oiling it would get it unstuck with the above described procedure?

Mine is a few year old and I never tried what you described. It didn't come close to doing what you described. When you rack it all the way back in one motion do you feel resistance at that mid point?

If it was me I would grab a flashlight and visually inspect as best as you can for interferences. Then I would disassemble, clean and oil per the link above, taking care to look for any dirt, damaged part or perhaps a burr on a part. Reassemble and try again. If it still does that but otherwise operates fine I would run a 100+ hundred rounds through it and see if it went away or got better.

Keep us posted. Lastly, welcome aboard from PA!
-NO, not at all, when i rack it back in one go, i goes perfectly fine. if i push slide release rack it back just a little, stop, and try to go further, it gets stuck half way back
-there is no dirt in there, I will try visual inspection but I havent learned all of the parts in there yet.

-I appologize for the multiple thread
-thanks for advice everyone
-i will try visual inspection, any other ideas?
Thanks!

Back