• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol caliber long guns/Carbines

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I know there's a lot of folks who like pistol caliber arms. So this thread is for you.

Whether it is an old school single shot, lever action, semiautomatic or even fully automatic. This is the place for discussion, pictures, stories, targets or whatever you want to post to contribute.

There is a continuing trend from all the way back to the cowboy days when the Industrial revolution was in full swing to have the ability to share ammo with both a primary and secondary sidearm. For numerous reasons.

While I own a few different calibers, I guess that I enjoy the 9mm's probably the most.

I know there are many who turn up their nose using 9mm for different reasons, but if you look back over its' 100+ year history, the 9mm has hung a lot of tags around a lot of toes. From offensive full scale global assaults to defensive role and to special operations, they've been present in countless wars and conflicts all around the globe.

This thread isn't just for 9mm carbines though. It's for any pistol caliber carbine you feel like sharing.

I have a .40 S&W Hi Point carbine. I actually like it quite a bit. The trick is figuring out the magazines. For me, the key was underloading them by one round. If I put 9 rounds in, instead of ten, it runs just fine. If I put all ten in, bad things tend to happen. Shoots real straight. It had a cheap red dot on it, but I prefer the plain iron sights. It has a neat little light and a neat little laser. I put one of those stretchy shot shell holders on the stock. By taking the stitching out for every other shell, it makes a neat multiple magazine holder. At this point, I don't believe I'd sell it for twice what I paid for it. Take care. Tom Worthington

Here is my offering...

A 10mm MechTech carbine using a G20/21 frame.

3119F9A0-9592-46B9-A703-BB05C61C090D-1289-00000111DA778449_zpsa18e5237.jpg

E2F4027E-1FFA-4049-94A0-1F2C631FD0DA-1289-00000111DFF31F6B_zpsd4f0e143.jpg

It shoots quite well, heavy and sounds like an AR through ear muffs, it came with a NON-adjustable AR butt stock, but I have remedied that by adding an adjustable one(not pictured) ;)
I have both a G20 and G21 so conseivably I will have a 10mm pistol/rifle combo.

Someday I would really like a lever action in .44mag.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the topic too. Pistol calibers are just great little guns.

I guess what revved my motor to start the thread was I sold the 1st gen 9mm upper that was on the Mac 10 today and put the money on one of the more recognizable and iconic guns of our time, the Uzi.

I've wanted one for a long time. I've shot them on numerous occasions. Or at least I have used the old Model A group industries Uzi quite a bit, so before anyone tells me they're heavy, I know ;) But at least it's not as heavy as a 1928A1 Thompson.

I've never been a big fan of the collapsible stock that is on the uzi now, but I ordered a couple more 32 rounders and a quick detach wood stock to swap the collapsible out with when it gets here, which should be late next week. Or at worst, early week after.

In the meantime, here's a pair of 9's.

pairof9s004_zps2cf5904d.jpg

My buddy has a Ruger PC9.... shot it a month ago... damn thing is accurate.

Great HD firearm especially for recoil sensitive individuals.

They just allowed certain pistol calibers here in MI for use in the shotgun only zone for deer season. I've seriously bee looking at a Handi Rifle in 357 or 44. Most likely 357 as I have more brass, etc for that caliber.

Nice!!

I think I need a cold shower.

Since I have .357 and .41 mag handguns, I've been sorta looking around for a levergun in either caliber, but preferably .41mag. Marlin used to make one, and I've seen a couple on the web going for $1500 or so. My concern is what could I expect in one of these rifles ballistics wise using my 210gr hp rounds? Range, accuracy, etc. If anyone has some experience with the ballistics of pistol ammo in this or other rifles as compared with the same rounds in a revolver, I'd be most appreciative. :)

I have very little experience with the 41 and truthfully I have not shot one myself, but my cousin has shot a few deer with his, so I called him a few minutes ago and asked his opinion about it he said that within about 135 yards is good for deer.

He said the farthest shot he ever got on one was probably between 85-95 yards and he said it was a complete pass through and said it was down within 40 yards of where it stood when he pulled the trigger and most of that was probably adrenaline and being dead and not knowing it.

Looking at a couple of ballistic drop charts looks like it starts dropping and losing a lot of oomph after about 150 yards, so probably like a 357, keep it within 100 yards or a touch more and you should be fine.

Also, I think Thompson Center made a 41 barrel. At least for a while. Not sure if they still do or not. Unless you are set on a lever action of course, but the TC has a lot going for them with being able to swap barrels to so many things.

Thanks John. Appreciate the real world comments. I've been doing a little research myself. Specifically as regards the Underwood 210gr XTP .41 mag.

Listed mv out of 6 1/2" Blackhawk is 1560fps. Looking up the expected mv out of a 20" barrel is approx 1900 according to BBTI and others. Hornady lists thier XTP G1BC at .182 (which is about the same as a brick!). So plugging all these into Hornady's calculator, this round does start to drop quickly after 125yds or so and is -13.7" @200yds (100yd zero), but still barely supersonic, so accuracy should be good with decent elevation compensation. Terminal at 200yds is 704ftlb.

Actually not bad for a hot pistol load. You might want to tell your cousin to check out the Underwood ammo: http://www.underwoodammo.com/pistolammunition.aspx

As for me, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a .41mag lever gun and thanks for the TC tip. :)

I am a big fan of the Marlin Lever Actions in Pistol Calibers. I am debating if I need to get a .45 Colt revolver and Lever gun to complete the .357 and .44 Mag revolver and lever guns I already have.
I would give body parts to find a 9mm carbine that accepts Browning Hi-Power magazines.
So there you have it I am a huge fan of long guns that shoot Pistol Calibers.

Back