• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling Options for Pistol Grip SG?

claws

.22LR
Just bought a 500 Cruiser with PG and am looking for sling (carry strap) options. I'm leaning toward a 2 point sling for either American carry (on right shoulder, muzzle up) or African carry (on left shoulder, muzzle down). Any advice or pics of PG sling set ups in use will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

I appreciate that from you I have learned about American Carry and African Carry differences. You can bring me up to speed on these two sling methods for pistol grip shotguns.

Keep this thread alive, claws. I like to learn new stuff!!!

While I've seen a few images with a sling on a PGO shotgun, I haven't seen any with a PGO actually slung over someone's shoulder. I'm not sure if either American or African carry would be either practical or safe with a PGO shotgun. That's why I'm looking for images, videos, or advice on the subject. Hopefully someone will come along with some info for us, nitesite.

Kim

Is "over-the-shoulder" sling carry a must? What about right-handed two-point across the abdomen with muzzle angled slightly down on a long sling?

A swing/shove to the right would bring the PGO shotgun muzzle down behind your right side, kinda opposite of "African" carry.

But I don't know crap about the American/African styles.

Looking forward to learning more.

Last edited:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=266
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...-swivel-cap-set-mossberg-500-12-gauge-1-black

Options for front and rear QD sling mounts

Saw a few pictures of PGO shotguns but no images of the way you intend to carry it. Would be interested as well

Thanks for the links, rdm. I'm not necessarily commited to over the shoulder carry (American or African) and nitesite's suggestion of a chest carry option might work well for me. My main reason for wanting to sling this gun is for protection from bears while hiking in the woods. I need a carry method that allows for quick deployment of the shotgun should the need arise. I won't have a sling on the gun when using it for HD. I'm also concerned about having the muzzle pointing at my feet or other body parts while the weapon is slung or being brought on target. Since I won't have possession of the gun for several more days, and I don't have any trips to the woods planned for the near future, I've got plenty of time to sort out my carry options.

Kim

Seems it might be difficult to carry a PGO shotgun comfortably and securely in a back-up position using a sling.

Going hands free in either carry position mentioned above, the weapon will likely move around quite a bit. Just throwing it out there, have you thought about a scabbard? I use these to transport my shotguns to and from the range. They carry comfortably with the shotgun's grip a quick reach over your shoulder. I replaced the carry strap with a 25 round sling that carries extra ammo across the chest...

I run a buttonsling.com setup on mine and have been very happy with it thus far.

Seems it might be difficult to carry a PGO shotgun comfortably and securely in a back-up position using a sling.

Going hands free in either carry position mentioned above, the weapon will likely move around quite a bit. Just throwing it out there, have you thought about a scabbard? I use these to transport my shotguns to and from the range. They carry comfortably with the shotgun's grip a quick reach over your shoulder. I replaced the carry strap with a 25 round sling that carries extra ammo across the chest...

I thought about a scabbard, LES. The gun I have ordered has a stand-off breacher barrel. Most people report that the sharp "teeth" on the end of the breacher/muzzle brake will tear up the scabbard in short order. Thanks for the post and the pic though.

Kim

I run a buttonsling.com setup on mine and have been very happy with it thus far.

I looked at some videos on the Button Sling, Dan. While it certainly provides for a fast deployment of the weapon, I have issues with the muzzle wandering over my feet and shins. That might also be a problem with a 2 point African carry. I'll probably end up getting some decent sling mounts and a cheap 2 point sling or two and experiment with them until I find something that works for me. I'm not sure what sling mounts to get and how they should be oriented on the gun in order for it to hang off of my shoulder in the same orientation as a rifle. I'm thinking that under the tube and under, or at the back of my Raven pistol grip might be the best option. Wish there were more videos on slinging PGOs.

Thanks for the suggestion and pic.

Kim

For what it's worth two of my Mossbergs, including the one pictured above are breachers. Takes an extra second or two of care putting the weapon in the scabbard vs. a standard barrel, but other than that I've had no issues with using the scabbard with my breachers...

The Nordic mag tube clamp may give you a few options. .I have one on my 930.I have the 1" rail for a light on one side and a Uncle Mikes QD on the other. You can switch sides and possibly move it up and down the barrel to find the perfect fit for you.

Back