• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Safety is stuck in the fire positiom

JCHorne

Copper BB
the only way i can get the safety on in my 835 is to remove the keeper pin and pull the trigger housing slightly down. The safety will then slide back into the safe position. But once I put the pin back in and fire the gun I have to do the same thing all over again.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Have you taken the trigger assembly out and inspected the safety block ? Also check the tab on the trigger assembly that contacts the block.

That the block is contacting the tab on the trigger assembly.

No such thing as a stupid question here.

I should have said to check the block that it in installed correct.(curve forward)

Also check the trigger tab for any wear that is causing too much friction against the block.

Another thing to check is to take the safety apart and make sure the detent ball is in correct.

There are three main components to the Mossberg safety system. The safety button is attached to a lever on the inside of the receiver. This lever slides back-and-forth with the button. In the safe position this prevents the trigger from activating. This is accomplished by limiting the steel safety block on the trigger assembly.

Sounds like the lever is getting stuck on the safety block.

644939 by Import Express, on Flickr

The detent ball is installed correctly. I believe the issue is the safety catching on this steel safety block. How do I correct it?

Oh....and thanks SOOOOO much for the assistance.

Check the plastic tab on the trigger assembly for any wear. If it has a sharp edge on it, it might be binding against the safety block. You might be able to sand the sharp edge off it. Also make sure the safety block is smooth in the curve part.
One other thing comes to mind is if the screw that holds the safety is too long it will interfere with the tab.
Here's a pic of the safety bloc, the bottom piece.

500 old metal safety.jpg

One more question,,,,,,have you had the stock off the gun or changed it?

No you don't. I just wanted to make sure the bolt wasen't hitting the trigger assemble.

Not sure if it was addressed but make sure the safety block in installed correctly, in can be installed backwards and will cause issues.

I should be positioned with the concave portion to the front of the gun and the tab hanging down to the rear if that makes sense.

Check the plastic tab on the trigger assembly for any wear. If it has a sharp edge on it, it might be binding against the safety block. You might be able to sand the sharp edge off it. Also make sure the safety block is smooth in the curve part.
One other thing comes to mind is if the screw that holds the safety is too long it will interfere with the tab.
Here's a pic of the safety bloc, the bottom piece.

View attachment 7004

In the pic above the barrel would be to the left and the stock to the right of the tab

I think if the bolt for the stock is too long, it can cause this problem. Seems to me I recall this as a problem for me at one time but I'm old and can't remember that well, now what were we talking about?

Back