• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Similarities between the SA-20 and PA-459?

I really want a conventional stock on my PA-459, and Weatherby Customer Service told me to pound sand and start pissing in a hand with that "wish". However, I kinda gathered that both guns are basically coming out of the same factory in Turkey, so they probably share basic tooling and designs, right? I'd really like to pick up a Bantam SA-20 stock for the PA-459 if they're semi-compatible...

So, anyone out there with both the Mossberg SA-20 and Weatherby PA-459 that could compare? Worst case, my SA-20 will arrive soon enough and I'll be able to tell for sure, but perhaps someone's willing to take their SA-20 stock off and snap a pic of receiver end for some virtual research?

TIA,
:cool:

My SA-20 looks similar as I recall. Hate to bust your bubble but I don't think you will have much luck with Mossberg Intl. getting a stock, either. I inquired about a pistol grip like you have and they are made of unobtanium... :( That was a year or so ago so maybe things have changed?

If they interchange, I don't think it would be too difficult to find someone like you who might want to swap... ;)

I really want a conventional stock on my PA-459, and Weatherby Customer Service told me to pound sand and start pissing in a hand with that "wish". However, I kinda gathered that both guns are basically coming out of the same factory in Turkey, so they probably share basic tooling and designs, right? I'd really like to pick up a Bantam SA-20 stock for the PA-459 if they're semi-compatible...

So, anyone out there with both the Mossberg SA-20 and Weatherby PA-459 that could compare? Worst case, my SA-20 will arrive soon enough and I'll be able to tell for sure, but perhaps someone's willing to take their SA-20 stock off and snap a pic of receiver end for some virtual research?

TIA,
:cool:
Let us know what you find out. Maybe a stock from a CZ 720 might work also?

Has anyone been able to get one of the Magpul or ATI stocks to fit an SA-20?
Someone should make an adapter to make it fit a 500, 590 or an 870 stock. Kaching!

Has anyone been able to get one of the Magpul or ATI stocks to fit an SA-20?
Someone should make an adapter to make it fit a 500, 590 or an 870 stock. Kaching!

Outstanding idea, Bri! I have an ATI (with adapters) and SA-20, so maybe I'll give it a look-see. It is a 12ga stock so it may be proud on the receiver...

I asked ATI a while ago if they would make an adapter but they said they needed more demand.
Send pics if you come up with something.

I asked ATI a while ago if they would make an adapter but they said they needed more demand.
Send pics if you come up with something.

Here we go, hot off the press...

Pics 1 and 2 show what you see once the buttpad is removed and the metric bolt is untightened. The pad screws took a #1 Phillips and the bolt had a 1/2" hex on it (NOT 12mm or 13mm) . The thread of the bolt was 8-1.25 metric which I verified with a pitch gauge.

Pic 3 show the ATI stock (apparently no longer produced) with adapters. The stock is similar to the "tactical" model SA-20 OEM stock. I can post more pics of the packaging and pics of actual stock if requested. For clarification: A Mossberg 500 does not use the adapters, the Remington adapter is on top and the Winchester adapter on the bottom. There are also in-the-stock spacers for the OEM bolts that are not shown.

IMO, to use this stock with the SA-20, the Remington spacer would need to be shaved down past the inset "flange" AND "nub" hole enlarged slightly. The adapter would also be proud of (sticks out beyond) the 20ga receiver. There would also be a "D" shaped gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard...

PS: AND the stock inside spacer would probably have to be fabricated/adapted to fit...

Attachments

• oemstock1.jpg
    oemstock1.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 23
  • oemstock2.jpg
    oemstock2.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 23
  • atistock1.jpg
    atistock1.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Here we go, hot off the press...

Pics 1 and 2 show what you see once the buttpad is removed and the metric bolt is untightened. The pad screws took a #1 Phillips and the bolt had a 1/2" hex on it (NOT 12mm or 13mm) . The thread of the bolt was 8-1.25 metric which I verified with a pitch gauge.

Pic 3 show the ATI stock (apparently no longer produced) with adapters. The stock is similar to the "tactical" model SA-20 OEM stock. I can post more pics of the packaging and pics of actual stock if requested. For clarification: A Mossberg 500 does not use the adapters, the Remington adapter is on top and the Winchester adapter on the bottom. There are also in-the-stock spacers for the OEM bolts that are not shown.

IMO, to use this stock with the SA-20, the Remington spacer would need to be shaved down past the inset "flange" AND "nub" hole enlarged slightly. The adapter would also be proud of (sticks out beyond) the 20ga receiver. There would also be a "D" shaped gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard...

Thanks for the write up. For clarification is there a name or ATI part # for the stock you are trying to attach to the SA-20 receiver?

Box says "Shotforce Shotgun Pistol Grip Stock With Scorpion Recoil Pad". ATI # SPG0100. Didn't show up at the ATI website but available on Debay...spg0100.JPG

PS: not to go OT too much, but the ATI stock has a decent "feel" with a Mossy 500. I don't know how it is with a Remmy or Winny--your mileage may vary.

I DID have to clean up the casting flash a little with a jeweler's file to get the stock "smooth" enough for my liking. Not a big deal, took about 2-3 minutes...

PPS: I AM liking the OEM SA-20 Thug stock. It points pretty good especially considering I am a "left-eyed" right-hand shooter. I just discovered a local trap/skeet club I might give it a go at, time and money permitting... :( (ie: not much of either right now...)

Last edited:
Back