• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forum/Gun Noob

Chuck M.

Copper BB
Hey everybody, I'd just like to introduce myself to yall. I'm 35 and originally from Chicago, recently transplanted to Pittsburgh. I'm married with 3 kids and work full time in telecommunications as a fiber optic cable splicer. I'm pretty green when it comes to guns, but I blame that on the strict/useless gun laws in Illinois. I'm trying to get more involved in the firearm community because I believe everyone has the constitutional right to be able to protect themselves and their loved ones. Also, I truly believe in an imminent zombie apocalypse. I'm open to any and all tips and info that would be passed my way.

I have started out with purchasing an 835 from a former colleague about 8 months ago, but have not had a chance to try it out. I'm also interested in acquiring carbines and handguns. I have been looking into the CZ P09 and multiple Glocks. I figure once I get my first handgun, I'll attend some sort of safety/use/shooting course with my wife. I also plan to include my kids as well.

Thanks for having me here!!

1508022_1377817642523411_1704583615435025634_n.jpg

Thanks GunnyGene, I'll be sure to check these links out.

PS: I'd also suggest that you compare Ruger handguns to the others you mentioned. The SR9 from Ruger is a great piece, as is their 1911 .45acp. Try to find a dealer who has various brands/models/calibers you can try out at their range if they have one. I'd advise not buying a gun on-line unless you've tried out the same model at a range. You wouldn't buy a car you hadn't test driven would you? Same thing. :)

Also, as I think you are aware, fighting with a shotgun (or any other firearm ), is not the same as owning one. All require specific tactics and techniques and a whole lot of practice and training. Be prepared to spend several hundred $$ on ammo to become reasonably proficient.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

Good to see you make the decision to exercise your rights! It's excellent you will involve your family in the process as well. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so thanks for the pic of your 835. Take a look around and you'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

I'm not sure what PA's gun laws are but you'll most likely have to take a basic pistol class before purchasing a hand gun. I suggest finding a reputable local shop or range where you can try out lots of different guns. Bigger isn't always better and you might be surprised at what works well with you.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I actually do have a few reputable gun shops local to me. I'll be sure to check them out to be as informed as possible before I buy anything else.

Welcome from a retired broke down broadband linemen lead tech who has done it all from nonpay disconnects to headend work to being over systems in 3 states and of course fiber.

You'll feel right at home here if you hang around for a while. The folks here are top shelf.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I actually do have a few reputable gun shops local to me. I'll be sure to check them out to be as informed as possible before I buy anything else.

If you plan on buying a handgun, be aware that there are many details of operating function that vary from make to make, and model to model. Some of those differences can be important and are not always obvious. Magazine disconnects are one those (these prevent the gun from firing if the magazine is not installed or fully seated). You may like that or you may not. Most shooters hate them. Some semi-autos allow easily removing such disconnects (Ruger is one), some others do not. Do your homework, ask questions here, etc. Buying a gun is not much different than buying a car - take it for a test drive.

Browse all of the sub forums, look for threads that pertain to makes, and models your interested in. Learn the terminology, and especially acronyms. (Single action, dual action, SA, DA, ). Ask or research what they mean. Different brands, makes, models have different features. Grip safety, ambi safety, manual safety, trigger safety, or no safety at all. Its not just picking up a firearm and pulling the trigger.

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

Back