• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad options for 590?

Hey guys, curious if anyone has found a recoil pad that provides a little more of a buffer over the stock rubber pad. Shoulder gets a bit sore after a trip to the range :D

Will

When I got my 590, it came with a Knoxx stock. I tell you, I didn't believe the hype, but that thing is awesome! Shooting 3" 00BK out of it felt like shooting birdshot out of my 500. I have since switched to the full stock though, with a Limbsaver pad. It's better, but not near the same reduction that the Knoxx stock provided.

The slip-on limbsavers make shooting my 590a1 feel like i'm plinking with a .22. I bought one pad and I can use it on several different long guns. It's the least expensive, most versatile, and most comfortable option I've found so far.

I have yet to try a slip on recoil pad, but I have switched to Hogue stocks and the recoil pads are PLUSH!

The bolt on Limb Saver came in yesterday, looks great. Mounted it and will prolly try it out next week sometime.

IMO, the LOP on the 590's stock is already waaaay too long for a defensive weapon. Adding a nice, fluffy Limbsaver, or similar pad, is going to make it even worse.

Are you using a push/pull grip on the weapon, norcal?

Mudinyeri said:
IMO, the LOP on the 590's stock is already waaaay too long for a defensive weapon. Adding a nice, fluffy Limbsaver, or similar pad, is going to make it even worse.

Are you using a push/pull grip on the weapon, norcal?

Hmm, how much longer is the LOP than a standard 500's? I only ask b/c I have a 500 stock with the Limbsaver pad, and the difference in length seemed negligible. I only used the 500 stock because the grooves and pieces on the Limbsaver pad wouldn't fit the 590 stock. But I'm also 6'4", so I don't know how much difference an inch or two would make for me.

Dang, both my 500 and my 590 use the same stock. The LOP is 14 3/8 on each, I'm 5' 10" and its just too danged much...

Any additional LOP added by the limb saver is negligible. I'm 5'7", and I don't feel that I would have any trouble getting a few shells out of the hole in a timely fashion. LOP has never been an issue for me with this weapon. Maybe I have long arms? I'll post a photo side by side of the old and new recoil pads for comparison. They are very close.

Will

I never measured it exactly but the lop on my 590A1 was about 1.5" longer than my 500 - just eyeballing it with them sitting side-by-side in the safe.

I thought I'd try a Limbsaver for my trap gun a while back. It added about 1" to the LOP. I shot like crap with it on there. :lol:

Mudinyeri said:
I never measured it exactly but the lop on my 590A1 was about 1.5" longer than my 500 - just eyeballing it with them sitting side-by-side in the safe.

I thought I'd try a Limbsaver for my trap gun a while back. It added about 1" to the LOP. I shot like crap with it on there. :lol:

Did it bolt on or was it a slip on type. The slip on's look much larger.

Here are a few pics I just took to show how little anything changed. The pad also fits the contours of the stock perfectly, you would never know it didn't come with the rifle unless you put it against one with a stock pad.

The first pic is of the Limb Saver. The second is a measurement of the stock recoil pad .
Will

Attachments

• IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 4,414
  • IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 4,411
This last pic is of them side by side for comparison. Less than a full millimeter difference.

Attachments

• IMAG0231.gif
    IMAG0231.gif
    136.8 KB · Views: 4,380
Ahhhh, I see now! I was thinking something more like the Pachmayr... its a little different a recoil pad I guess but still just slips on.

images

Night and day difference. We shot Federal Power Shok, Remington Express, and Winchester Mil Spec 00 Buck through my buddy's 500 persuader, and then through my 590 with the Limb Saver #10201. After the first 5 shells through the 500 with factory rubber pad, my shoulder was already sore. I then shot mine and was amazed at the difference. I would say their claims of 70% recoil reduction are pretty warranted. We shot about 50 shells through mine at the range, and I was ready to keep going. Best 35 bucks I ever spent, and the single most important modification I would recommend to anyone with a 500 series Mossberg. Worth every penny and more.

Will

Back