• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you had to pick just 1 rifle & 1 handgun for SHTF which would you pick ?

If I had to go with things I already own, it would be HiPoint carbine in .40 and Shield in .40. Both use the same ammunition and I can slip the Shield in any pants pocket, with or without a holster.

By the way, as I've mentioned in other SHTF threads, I'm not running. I hate running, tires the heck out of me. Foraging for food and water looks like it would suck, too. Take care. Tom Worthington

My AR15 and G19. For no other reason than ammo is amongst the most common and will be fairly easy to find assuming I make it that long. LOL.

I always have my .22 conversion bolt in the AR case as well to add a little more versatility.

For the pistol, it would have to be my 5" Rock Island 1911. As much as I like my Dan Wessons, they have a much tighter slide to frame fit. Dragging one of them through the dirt and mud would be more likely to affect reliability.

For the rifle, it would have to be my Colt LE901. The .308 would handle long range. Since there's plenty of extra room in my drag bag, I'd just throw in a 5.56 upper (the one with the ACOG & RMR) to handle intermediate range.

I actually thought about going with my BP guns for this thread (rifle and 2 handguns - see avatar). But since I'm not "bugging out" anyplace, I figured they'd be back up when my cartridge ammo runs out - which ain't likely. Got the legal limit of BP on hand, a couple thousand caps, about 30lbs of lead, and lots of balls and molds for making more. And when that runs out, I know how to make game traps and atlatls, and have plenty of land with small game that lives here. :)

Don't care or worry about some kind of zombie thing, or a face off with some jumped up warlord, etc. :eek:;):) If I was 30 or 40 years younger, I might have a different attitude, but I'm 70. I've lived a long rewarding life and likely only have 15 or 20 years left at best, so screw it. :)

With age, comes a certain perspective. Y'all youngters are on your own. Good luck.

Last edited:
If it really went South, I mean really, I would have to grab what I usually carry. 12 ga Moss and my .44 Black Powder 1858 revolver in its crossdraw rig. I have plenty of BP, caps and lead (and can always find more lead - tire wheel weights.) And I'm pretty good with it. It's just one of those firearms that the second I picked it up it felt like a natural extension of my hand. I stick with what I know.

Well if I had to choose from my limited collection. I'd have to take my only pistol...Jericho 941 9mm (cousin of tattooo's Tavor) and my scoped Rem 700 in .270 win.

On the up side...my .270 will afford some accurate long range protection and/or food. On the downside, it's relatively heavy and slow firing. Over the long haul in a SHTF scenario, finding ammo may be an issue.

My next acquisition will likely be a Ruger mini-14. Here in Canada, I can take the mini-14 anywhere legally and for the purpose of the law is no different than an AR. But AR's are baaaaaad and being so are restricted to gun ranges only.:mad:

Let's hope the S doesn't HTF til I get my .223 mini-14! I would anticipate that the semi-auto .223 will be more versatile than my .270. Even if it only tips the scale slightly in favour over the .270 there is no substitute for peace of mind. Having the ability to rapid fire a powerful round is indispensable I'd say. While still allowing you to reach out further when necessary. And as mentioned earlier...likely plentiful ammo.

Edit: can't imagine a scenario where I'd leave my 12 ga behind.....

If I'm going to be forced to use a gun during SHTF, I made the decision that I won't just stop at using one or two.

I have decided that I'm going to light this place up and will cause as much carnage as I can.

Yeah, that's right. A hundred and fifty years from now, John A. will be as famous as Bill Earp and Wild Wyatt Hickock.

Yee-Haw y'all.

If I'm going to be forced to use a gun during SHTF, I made the decision that I won't just stop at using one or two.

I have decided that I'm going to light this place up and will cause as much carnage as I can.

Yeah, that's right. A hundred and fifty years from now, John A. will be as famous as Bill Earp and Wild Wyatt Hickock.

Yee-Haw y'all.
Yippee Kai-Yay.... MF.

John A... came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood... and he's going out the same way.

Harder than Chinese Algebra and tougher than woodpecker lips.

Straight gangsta ;)

Yee-Haw y'all.

It's good to know somebody at the local ANG Armory. ;)

its a good idea......but then again if you run across a variety of ammo's then there isn't much variety of weapons to throw them in , gotta love trade off's
G19 and CX4 seems pretty solid, probably find a couple 9mm's rolling around most everywhere

Or a beretta 92 and the cx4, that way they share magazines as well as ammo. I figure the cx4 would be ok as in a shtf scenario.

Back