• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Time well spent

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
OK, I wasn't sure exactly which subforum this topic would work in, but it could easily fit into the survival forum, so here it goes.

With my youngest son growing up in front of my eyes and time not getting any longer, I decided now would be a good time to pass on something that my Dad showed me years ago when I was growing up. At the end of the topic, I'll show some jigs that my Dad had made.

But today's little project was showing my son how to use an often overlooked part of a game animal that he takes to get even more use out of it.

In this case a fluffy tail. I only had a grey squirrel tail and a whitetail deer tail on hand to work with today, but you can also do it with fox, raccoon, coyote, just about any kind of critter.

I also used a commercial hook and sinker, but in a pinch, rib bones of a squirrel or other small animal of the sort can be carved with a barb and used, but that would another topic altogether.

Anyway, I showed him how he can cut some of the hair and tie it onto the jig hook to make fish bait with.

jig building 003.JPG
jig building 002.JPG

And some jig spinners that my Daddy had made.

jig building 005.JPG

Awesome job Dad...!!

Passing down lessons learned is a father's duty...to his family and to it's culture.

All kidding aside, good for you passing on to your son. It's memories like this he'll hold onto for the rest of his life...

I hope so.

We all love being in the outdoors doing things. This just adds to that.

I can't wait to see the look on his face when he catches something with it.

Now THAT my friend will be the priceless part.

Back