• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1

12gafun

.270 WIN
Just trying to get some info on the Mossberg 590A1 pump shotgun with the 8+1 capacity ghost ring sites. Also Mossberg's customer service, how good is it.
Dependability of there shotshotguns

The 590 is the best pump shotgun. The controls are perfect. I'm left handed so keep that in mind but the 590's controls allow me to go from safety on and chamber clear to shooting in less than a second without changing my grip. Squeeze the slide release and press the safety forward in one motion (it takes practice) while shoulder the weapon and shoot. I will say it again; the controls are perfect. The magazine tube is one piece so there are no reliability issues with magazine extensions on 870s, the lifter stays up when the bolt is closed so it's easier to reload, it has 2 heavy extractors and you can use the heavy barrel as a club if you so desire. I have a 590 and an 870, love both but if I had to pick one ... 590. The 870 is a little prettier, maybe more ergonomic for some but the function is what makes the 590 superior to the 870 and every other pump shotgun.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I've not owned an 870, but I've shot many. I can't stand loading the 870 because of the lifter.

I too love the controls of the 590, as mentioned you can fully function the firearm without having to change your grip.

Reliability has never been an issue, it's a Mossberg. Hey, what did Mossberg say to Remington? I don't recall...

Customer service is often less than stellar, but there are good people there who can be contacted and I've heard stories of OFM really stepping up and coming through.

If I were choosing one firearm to carry, it would be a 590A1.

Well I have had a 870 that I just sold, got tired of the mag tube extensions not working correctly. I also had issues with it ejecting shells correctly. I had all Magpul furniture on it and after really didn't like shooting it anymore. Then one day at my local outdoor range I shot a fellow range members 590 SP and loved it, it had the ghost ring sites and cycled great. Held 8+1 out of the box with no mods to it, also could affix a bayonet to it. I at that moment feel in love with the 590.

So is there any differences between the 590A1 and the 590 SP.
Thanks for the replies guys, I have always growing up been a Remington 870 guy until now
Also how is Mossbergs customer service hopefully it's better than Remington's

Last edited:
Here is a thread comparing and contrasting the 500, 590sp, and 590A1, aptly titled;
"What are the differences..."
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...-differences-among-the-500-590-and-590a1.252/

It covers a variety of models and makes mention of a few key differences like the all metal trigger guard/group and metal safety. There are also a few models specified.

Customer service can be hit or miss, hold time is rarely as long as they estimate.

So is there any differences between the 590A1 and the 590 SP.

Also how is Mossbergs customer service hopefully it's better than Remington's

The 500, 590, and 590A1 are all functionally the same.

All 590A1 models feature the heavy barrels, the metal trigger group housing and safety button, and the signature "590A1" roll mark on the left side or the receiver. The 590A1 is available in both 18.5" and 20" barrel configurations.

All basic 590 models are configured with standard weight 20" barrels. There are no 18.5" factory 590 models. There is one, the 590 "American" that is comes with a 23" heavy breacher barrel and is in a cruiser (pistol grip only) configuration.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Mossberg customer service. Their "contact us" info on the website is utterly useless and they tend to not answer those emails, but if you call them directly they are very helpful. We have made a few friends in their CS department over the years and have a couple direct contacts that are amazing to work with...

I like the metal trigger group. I could live without the GRS. The heavy barrel doesn't bug me but it might if I had to carry it for some reason. Overbuilt for sure. The extra length on the 20" is hardly noticeable. I don't use pistol grips but if you think you might, the tang safety will become an issue for you. I have no use for a sling or bayonet but the lug looks like a good skull cracker if you ever need to swing it like a bat. The LOP on the factory stocks is pretty long but there are shorter options.

Never a problem with mine. Runs great.
ef44d104a0fca3d899d7c02f21d1b685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice, every pic I see makes me want one even more. Thanks to all for all the great information on this shotgun.

Hit or miss experience for me as far as customer service goes. I ordered something recently, and when I opened the box it was not the item I ordered. Albeit the problem was a tee-shirt of the wrong color, they gave me a hard time when I asked to have the right colored shirt mailed to me. I spent several minutes telling them they sent me a red shirt when I ordered a green one, and the receipt in the box says 'green', not red. Not quite sure what they didn't understand about that. Felt like I had to convince them it was red. Even though they were the ones that made the mistake of sending me the wrong item, they wanted me to pay to ship it back to them. I, in turn told them that I would not pay anything further for the mistake they made. After about 10 minutes of feeling uncomfortable with them, they agreed to send me a return label. Made me feel like I was a pain in the butt for asking for what I paid for. Also, I have emailed them a few times through the website with questions about various things. Never once have I gotten a response. I love my 590A1, not so much love for their customer service.

Back