• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

WWII Shovel Rebuild

blacksmith

.270 WIN
1944 Ames. It appears to be in very good shape. It should be since it has two layers of paint that were brushed on. I'll update once I get all this lead paint off ☠

Paint is All Gone

After Acid Bath

1944 & 2003. Note Handle Length

Almost done. I actually like these better than the tri-folds. I love the original rivets but threaded hardware makes them serviceable.

Last edited:
The pick has been kind of a mystery to me. I originally thought all shovels of that vintage had it, but yours does not. They are definitely hard to come by.

Are you keeping the wood handle and refinish it? Or fit a new one on?

The WWII Folding E-Tool is the Model-1943 model, it did not have a folding pick. The version that replaced it was the Model-1950 (or Model-1951?), it did have the pick. The WWII version are a lot less expensive and easier to find, in my experience.
Mark

Pretty cool. I love the diversity of projects our members share here.

Used my beater today and sadly found that the nut had split. Kinda bummed me out. Guess its time to retire it to a hook on the wall.

Refinish it....then hook it to the wall. It deserves it.

i'll clean it a bit but don't want to change its character to much. then it will be hung up in a place of honor with all my other older tools.

Back