• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sierra Tipped MatchKing

Give me a few weeks to make sure all the bills are covered, and I'll order some up. I still don't have a chronograph yet, so won't be able to give any velocities. Unless I get a couple Saturdays in at work and have some extra fun money. I'm literally setting at the bench now, making some rounds for a buddy. I'll put them in the range report this evening.

Probably RL15. i have it on hand, and it does good with the Nosler 77's Im getting low on 3031 again so may have to go shopping, when i do that I may see if i can find some IMR 8208 Ill do some browsing on other forums and see whats working for other people though.

as for the chrono i just keep putting it off. guy on a local reloading page offered to sell me a Caldwell Ballistic precision kit, with Tripod, new in box for 100. but then never kept up communication to arrange to meet. really pissed me off because he's only about 10 miles from me.

Im also really considering getting the Hornady auto powder dispenser. At about 100 bucks less than the Chargemaster its got pretty similar features and reviews, and way better than my cheap Lee beam scale. which i don't mind using, but its just so time consuming. I try to get all my test loads right on the dot. Then when i settle on a weight i scale the first 5, if they're throwing pretty close then i'll trow ten or so right into the case and scale one once in awhile to check consistency.

Ok, I'll work with 15 too and our speeds should be very close ....both stainless 18".....although accuracy won't be the same we can match some speeds for the ACSS

In fact if you need load speeds for RE15 I can probably get you as close as it needs to be

Keep an eye out for AR-Comp , a lot like 15 but seems to give more velocity before pressure signs and it's every bit as accurate for me

Well my barrel is 20. But two inches won't make a huge difference in speed. But every little bit helps when you start reaching out. I'll get a chronograph soon enough. I'll use it and a ballistics calc. to figure my drops. The Strelok app has my Nikon BDC reticle too. I need to figure drops for all my loads anyway. Last time I shot at 400 with my 55 grain loads the BDC was off, my shots were going low.

The couple places local carry IMR and Hodgden. Have to travel 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic to find Alliant powders. Need to work the phones one afternoon see who has what.

Last edited:
oh, 20"....don't know where i got 18 from. powder is getting better everyday good luck.

its funny, i have been adjusting my ammo to the gun more than the gun to the ammo......been have good luck with it.

screw adjusting the scope , I just add powder now lol

I don't want to get too caught up in tuning ammo to the gun. I'd like to know I can throw factory ammo in and not be too far off. Should the need ever arise. But I guess for a precision rifle its not as big of an issue, since it won't be burning through as many rounds as a carbine..... in theory

in a since I am doing that, the velocities for the BDC's are based on factory velocity claims so instead of adjusting my scope for slower reloads I strive for factory speed, as long as I can remain fairly accurate

Like your 55gr loads landing low, I bet if you had a chronograph you would see they are slow, and you could keep working up to match your BDC and know its roughly going to be the same as NATO speed ammo you find in the ditch if SHTF

But being as how the Nikon I'm running was designed around 55 gr ballistic tipped projectiles, you could probably never push a 77 fast enough to match the trajectory, hence the need for accurate speed measurement and trajectory calc. This is still primarily my predator rifle, so I'll give up a bit on matching a BDC perfectly, in favor of accuracy. I do all my shooting at 200 plus with a 12 inch square steel, and aim for the 3 inch black dot. Would put me in the kill zone of most regional predators, or game animals.

But being as how the Nikon I'm running was designed around 55 gr ballistic tipped projectiles, you could probably never push a 77 fast enough to match the trajectory, hence the need for accurate speed measurement and trajectory calc. This is still primarily my predator rifle, so I'll give up a bit on matching a BDC perfectly, in favor of accuracy. I do all my shooting at 200 plus with a 12 inch square steel, and aim for the 3 inch black dot. Would put me in the kill zone of most regional predators, or game animals.
dude thanks for bringing me around.....I totally have to adjust 1 moa high for 77gr.....I zero 3150-3250fps 55gr at 100 yards. The rest of the holds are good to 800 yards using that 55gr load and 69gr @ 2900 or better.
75gr @2800 is adjust 1/2 moa high and 77gr @ 2700 is adjust 1 moa high on the turret , as per PA's tables they gave for those loads and it proved true out to 600 yards, although I didn't shoot the 55gr loads out there
Don't know what I was thinking but you 100% correct on that aspect

Chrono, and TMKs ordered. The pisser is that we start workng saturdays, on saturday. Ill try and start doing some load workup when i can.

a509445c1f2d5b3bcecbe86fd4348eb6.jpg

400b60d1e7e2ef072054ef8edfd03b24.jpg

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, let the fun begin. Will start making loads this week. Might try to shoot after work, weather permitting. If not won't be until Sunday. Fields around me just got planted so may not be testing over 200 in the near future. A friend claims he has access to about 800 yards of range. If I get good results at 1, and 200, I'll pursue that option.

your the man

I really hope you get to shoot them beyond 300 to see what they are really made of

I sure enjoy the way you get after it.....less talking(typing) more doing(shooting)......man after my own heart....too many people lay back and type a big game.

your the man

.....less talking(typing) more doing(shooting)......man after my own heart....too many people lay back and type a big game.

Sounds like I am in a conversation with a couple of qualified riflemen.

I've shot long range on Army Rifle Teams. Iron sights, of course. Pretty fun and definitely challenging. Back then I was a rifleman. Earned a trophy or three but they were rarely for First Place. Mostly Second or Third Place. Still, it was a blast.

Some shooters today are not interested in shooting rifles (even with scoped optics) out to 600 yards and beyond, or they are unable because of range limitations.

Gonna add... I own the full Magpul series of DVDs on shooting if anyone wishes to borrow anything. Art of the Sniper, etc........

Back