• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally shot my SPX last weekend...not sure I made the right choice

When I was shopping for a 930 (general "tactical" use and hopefully for 3-gun or other practical match use when I find a place to do so), I was torn between an SPX and the JM Pro. I found a good deal on a very lightly used SPX with pistol grip stock and a Nordic +1 already installed, so I bought it. That was in September 2013 and I finally got out and shot it last weekend after adding a longer (barrel length) Nordic. The gun shot perfectly including some of my old target reloads, field loads and a couple of different buckshot loads.

But I didn't find it fun to shoot, even with the light and field loads. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but I've never liked shooting heavy 12 gauge shotgun loads. The soft-shooting reputation of the 930 was one of the main reasons I picked it. I think what I'm finding is that the Choate pistol-grip stock is NOT a friendly shape. I understand Limbsaver has a new pad just for this stock, but apparently they aren't quite on the market yet (but due any time).

Another thing I may not like is that much of what I read about 3-gun and shotgun matches is that the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel is NOT ideal. Slightly longer barrels and changeable chokes are better for this.

So...I can add a better recoil pad to my Choate stock when they are available, or swap it out for a standard stock. And I can buy a JM 22" or 24" barrel to replace the 18.5", but then I have to deal with the ghost ring rear sight on my shotgun. Or I could sent my barrel out to have it fitted for choke tubes and maybe have the forcing cone lengthened to also lower recoil (and improve follow-up shots).

Or maybe I should just sell this gun and get a JM. It looks like the SPX sells for more than the JM (about $100 difference at the wholesale level). I can likely get enough for my gun to buy the JM, or really close.

Thoughts?

Rob

If you put a longer barrel on it, the ghost ring comes off the rail by simply loosening one screw. You can replace it with something like a Burris Fastfire or just remove the rail completely..

Can't imagine the recoil is much different between the SPX and JM, I think if you try a traditional stock with a Limb Saver , a slip on if you have too, you will be a happy 3 gunner

Possably adjust your stance or technique some ?

I have an 18.5" 930 Tactical and a 24" JM Pro.

There is no discernable difference in recoil between the two. I would agree that the pistol grip set-up may be affecting your shooting stance, making it difficult to control recoil. Many folks have a tendency to shoulder the pistol grip stocks like an AR and not take as aggressive a stance as is necessary. Square up behind it, lean forward into it, pull the stock firmly into your shoulder, and let 'em fly. If you haven't seen it, here's a great video by Rob Haught...

The video features a pump, but the concept applies to semi-auto as well...

I have an 18.5" 930 Tactical and a 24" JM Pro.

There is no discernable difference in recoil between the two. ..

Thanks for that video. There certainly could be much to change with my shotgun technique.

With your two 930s, are they both standard stocks, or do you have one with the pistol grip? The shape of the butt on the pistol grip is quite different from the standard stock...rectangular and narrower overall, I think. The drop appears different too.

I was surprised that the lighter target and field loads didn't feel that much different from the buckshot (some of the Nobelsport "law enforcement" and some Rio, all OO 2 3/4"). While shooting seemed harsh, I actually did not end up with a sore shoulder really, even after around 40 rounds through the shotgun and couple hundred rounds through other rifles that day (5.56, 5.45 and 7.62x39).

Rob

Both used to be traditional stocks, but recently put the ATI Raven stock on the 18.5"...

Haven't noticed any difference in recoil management since the switch. I usually don't shoot less than 200 rounds in a range trip with my 930's. Learning how to turn your body into a shock absorber will make all the difference, regardless of which stock you use...

12 gauges kick!! You can add as many butt pads and recoil reducing devices as you want but it still kicks!!

You can reduce it a bit with technique and a really good pad like the Limbsaver but still kicks.

Recoil never used to bother me but it seems like the older I get the less my body likes being beat up. LOL

Kick-Eez has a nice slip-on recoil pad that I use for my JM Pro available @ Brownell's. It also increases the length of pull which helps me.

A lot of the perception of recoil can be minimized with proper fitment. As stated by NoImpactNoIdea, getting a proper length of pull with a pistol grip is a factor. I don't recall if the pistol grip versions come with stock spacers, but aside from length of pull, adjusting the stock height so you can utilize the sights with the stock in the proper pocket of your shoulder helps mitigate recoil a lot. Some people are also not built for certain stock types. I'm one of those that can't comfortably run a Blackhawk Recoil Compensating stock on a Mossberg 500. It's hard to explain, but the fitment required to use the sights moves that 60% of the recoil that is no longer in my shoulder into my face instead. I will take 100% into my shoulder over a 60/40 split that involves my face any day.

The SPX is a challenge to share barrels with. If your stock is adjusted right for using the ghost rings, you will need to lower it and remove the rail to comfortably use a vent rib sight like the JM Pro has. If it is just for range/defense use, a red dot like a Burris Fast Fire will co-witness with the SPX ghost rings. You could change barrels, remove the rear ghost ring and be pretty close with the new vent rib barrel. You can then one gun for many purposes and have the ability to run chokes. A JM Pro barrel is under $200 from Mossberg, while most shops will charge about $100 to thread an SPX barrel for chokes. If you're shooting competition, that red dot will put you in Open or Unlimited in most sports, however.

-William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back