• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Garand

DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0140.JPG
Thought I'd give and updated picture of my Garand. If you look a few posts back, I posted it up about a year ago with a new Boyds stock.... This is still my same beauty, just a bit "polished" If that's what you wanna call it! If you can't tell, the american walnut stock now has a much deeper and rich dark color to it... that's because I spent one or two (maybe three ;)) evenings hand rubbing my wood...stock. This is a combination of many coats of pure linseed oil (flax seed) and tung oil over time. Some of you may know I've got a keen appreciation for wood stocks, but this tops any I have previously finished.

The picture was taken at Fort Abercrombie on Kodiak, what used to be part of a defensive battery in preparation for the Japanese. I just love the history that surrounds the rifle and these forgotten structures of World War II. Here's a link to some information on Kodiak and WWII http://www.kadiak.org/

@nitesite (he won't wanna miss it!)

Last edited:
It's absolutely beautiful, Chris. What a treasure. I doubt I'll ever own one now that they are in the stratosphere and the new federal restriction on importing them anymore. I'm real proud for you, my friend. Your efforts paid off well!

It's absolutely beautiful, Chris. What a treasure. I doubt I'll ever own one now that they are in the stratosphere and the new federal restriction on importing them anymore. I'm real proud for you, my friend. Your efforts paid off well!

How have you not had the chance to head to the South Store? Aren't you close? I surely hope you get to own one at some point... even though this is a post-war production HRA, I still feel connected to History when I hold it. It was an interesting feeling taking the pictures in the old bunker... I haven't been to many places outside of Europe where old WWII relics still stand.

I actually have another Garand on order with the CMP (It'll be a Springfield or Winchester... in which case there will be a good chance it will have been in the hands of some U.S troops in theater) I'll certainly let you guys know when it shows up... I'm about half way through the wait right now:D

Looking good AK. I love the Garands. Was it Patton who named it the greatest battle implement ever devised?

^ Yes Sir it was.

@aksavanaman , That rifle is pure SEXY! You did an amazing job with the stock brother, she's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the history on your backdrop. I love reading about these sites as well...

Great looking gun AK!!

I hope this story is accurate. I tried to verify elsewhere but most were quoting the article below, including a Garand forum. We'll need to follow up on this one.
U.S. To Import 87,310 M1 Garand Rifles from Korea

The supplies of M1 Garand rifles are slowly but surely dwindling from the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s shelves. That’s the government-run organization that distributes WWII era firearms to the population, promoting civilian marksmanship through its games as well as its cheap firearms. A stockpile of South Korean M1 Garand rifles have been sitting awaiting approval for U.S. importation. The State Department has finally gotten off its rear end and green-lighted their re-entry into The Land of the Free. The rifles had been in political limbo for decades . . .
Uncle Sam sold most of the M1s to the Korean government to help with the Korean War. Our own G.I.s left some of them behind when we pulled out. Obviously, the M1 Garands are woefully obsolete on the modern battlefield. Korea had been looking to unload these rifles on the U.S. market to pay for a much needed upgrade to their armed forces’ armories.

Unfortunately, the Obama administration blocked their importation, saying they could “potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.” You could say the same thing about a Blackberry mobile phone but tons of those come in from China every year.
The Korean Times reports that new legislation passed by the U.S. has cleared the way for these guns to be imported into the United States via third party importers such as CAI. And here’s the kicker: they’re going to be sold as low as $220.
The sad part of the story: the 770,000 M1 Carbines also available for sale in Korea are still banned due to their ability to accept “high capacity detachable magazines.” Which is ridiculous; the CMP has been selling those exact same guns and magazines for decades and shipping them directly to U.S. Citizens without an FFL in between. Not even 922(r) should apply. The guns were made in the United States in the first place.
Such is the state of gun laws in the United States. At least we’ll soon see some cheap (well used) M1 Garand rifles on the market. I hope.

When was this article written? I remember there being some sort of issue with the Korean Garands as they were supposedly "loaned" to Korea and they are trying to sell them back to the US.

My garand was a Korean loaner, the barrel was in really bad shape, but everything else seemed to be OK.

My "people's Army" Garand

6254951808_5535887e2c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome M1 aksavanaman...!!

Very interesting Vitsports6...do you know what the Korean stamp letters say ?

It was written a few days ago but they added a disclaimer since last night that it's not happening.

Posted up an M1 Group pic in another thread, but finally got some decent solo pics of the Springfield Garand that was recently passed down to me from my Pop...

The six digit serial number dates it to July 1942...

Has an M5A1 bayonet and I picked up a couple dozen en blocs for the range...

Picked up the m1907 sling from Springfield a while back. It came in undyed raw leather and took a few coats of tan antiqued gel stain pretty well. It's a little orange right now, but should darken up nicely over time...

The stock has seen better days, but overall it's in great condition. Stripped it down completely for inspection and cleaning, then greased it up real nice. The bore is in good shape and still has a lot of life left in it. I'm proud and honored to have such a beautiful piece of American history with some sentimental family history as well...

Back