• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bill to require license/fingerprints for handgun purchase

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-gun-control-demand-photos-fingerprints-background-check-before-handgun-purchase/article/2566117?utm_campaign=Washington Examiner: Washington Secrets PMI&utm_source=Washington Examiner: Washington Secrets PMI - 06/13/15&utm_medium=email

New gun control demand: Photos, fingerprints, background check before handgun purchase
BY PAUL BEDARD | JUNE 12, 2015 | 3:02 PM

House and Senate Democrats have opened a campaign to get states to require a license issued by police, complete with fingerprints and photos, before buying a handgun, even from a friend or family member.

The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act of 2015, introduced Thursday, would also provide a taxpayer-funded federal grant to implement the program, which proponents say will help to cut down on gun violence and deaths.

"States require licenses to drive a car or even to fish in local rivers, so requiring a license to buy a deadly handgun is a commonsense step that could save countless lives. This legislation will help states develop responsible handgun licensing programs," said sponsor Rep. Chris Van Hollen, who is running for an open Senate seat in Maryland.

While the legislation is not a federal licensing program, it would still be a national project funded by a Justice Department grant that would require purchasers to provide police with photographs, fingerprints, and submit to a background check. The legislation did not indicate a price tag.

It would cover all handgun purchases, in gun stores, at gun shows and among private sellers, including friends and family.

From the fact sheet:
The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act authorizes a grant program at the Department of Justice to encourage states to establish permit-to-purchase requirements for all handguns, including at gun shows and with private sellers. This grant would help offset the costs associated with the development, implementation, and evaluation of these programs. To be eligible, states must require individuals applying for a license to meet the following criteria:
-- Provide proof they are at least 21 years old and a lawful resident of the United States.
-- Apply for the license at a law enforcement agency within the state.
-- Submit to a background investigation and criminal history check.
-- Submit fingerprints and photographs with their application.
-- Be eligible to purchase a handgun pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.
Besides Van Hollen, there are three Connecticut sponsors, Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy, and Rep. Elizabeth Esty.

The four said there is proof that licensing cuts violence and they cited a new study from Johns Hopkins University on a Connecticut law passed 10 years ago.

The Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research found that firearm homicide rates dropped 40 percent after the state adopted a handgun purchaser licensing law.

"Permit-to-purchase requirements for all handguns keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those who would fail a background check, and our bill would help other states develop programs similar to ours here in Connecticut. The time is now for Congress to pass this commonsense gun safety bill, as well as comprehensive federal background checks legislation, to make our streets, our schools, and our communities safer," said Murphy.

Finger printing for handgun purchases had been the norm for many years until we went Shall Issue. Now I don't know as I've yet to buy one without having a CPL, which requires fingerprints to obtain as well as a local and federal background check.

Flint, Detroit and Saginaw are always in the top of the list of most violent cities in America. I really question their research.

Only time I have been fingerprinted and photographed were for NFA purposes and working in a jail, and working at a school.

Never for a handgun.

although thinking back the prints were taken after the purchase, when we had to bring it in for a "safety check" and it may have only been a thumb print for the "green card" (we used to have to carry a little green card(s) everywhere we carried the gun(s))

I love how they reference " states require a license to drive " driving is a PRIVLIDGE and purchasing and owning firearms is OUR GOD GIVIN RIGHT ! If they spent only a quarter of their time & our taxpayer money that funds these types of iniatiaves on going after the actual criminals they might just accomplish something ........the gangbanger doing home invasions aing gonna get a licence to buy a firearm or take photos [emoji35]

Fingerprints are sooooo old school. Like Elliot Ness old school. They could at least go for DNA mapping. A pound of flesh is what they want anyway. ;) Or how about requiring you to get a tracking chip inserted, or a number tattooed on your fore arm? :mad:

Last edited:
Finger printing for handgun purchases had been the norm for many years until we went Shall Issue.

While FL doesn't require prints to buy a new handgun, you DO have to get printed to get a carry permit. There is still the 4473 for ANY new gun (from a dealer) but the carry permit waives the 3-day wait for a handgun. FL uses instant BG check, done through FDLE at time of purchase.

I don't agree with ANY kind of required reporting for any personal sale or purchase of a gun. That said, I always get a copy of the purchaser's driver's license and they usually get a copy of mine. This is to CMA "just in case". A notable exception was a shotgun purchased from a cop--he didn't care or want any of my info and I was OK with that... THAT was going to be the gun I would leave at the crime scene! ;)

FDLE also has a webpage one can bring up (I have it on my smartphone) to insert the serial number of a gun being purchased to check if it was stolen. LINK

It's especially upsetting because this kind of thing always makes me realize how bad things are in Kali. I just bought several guns and recently they started applying the waiting period to long guns so I had to wait almost two weeks for each of my Mossbergs (ugh). I was not able to walk out with both guns and ammunition either, which is not a problem since I rarely buy gun food from guns stores, but still... what a pain. As far as fingerprints, to issue identification (DL or ID) the DMV already stores our right thumb print. Then to purchase a gun we have to prove:

- ID and age
- California residency
- Firearm Safety Certificate possession (in-store test, $25, only valid for 5 years)
- Safe handling (in-store demo, free! lol)

I had a bit of a hard time because I had just moved and my DL didn't show my current address so I used my private security creds as proof of residency. The state of course fingerprinted me 3 times for all my permits and runs my background every 2 years so, needless to say, I'm already on the grid. Yet I still have to play their little games. We just get so resigned to endless hoops to jump through that I'm fully prepared to be pulled over and asked for my permit to breathe one day. :rolleyes:

Some cities require you to show and record a Drivers license to buy ammo as well.
FYI, signal hill does not do this.

Look for a run on HGs if this thing comes close to passing. HGs will be the new .22LR ammo...

Everyone in our county was supposed to register their dogs a few years ago.

Relatively few did.

Only time it's an issue is if dog bites someone, then they have to prove it was yours anyway, and since it's not registered to you, they almost have to have witnesses or photos or both.

Is it any wonder that people get grumpier as they get older? I've seen enough of these sneaky schemes for a lifetime. Life comes without a warranty and shit happens; that's part of the deal. They should teach this in school instead of creating sue-happy, professional-victim sheep that they can sell endless nanny state rackets to. When will they have the nerve to demand a pound of flesh???

Back