• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Options to replace 20 bead sight?

firemediceric

Copper BB
I just picked up for my son a Mossberg 500 20 gauge for only $150. It has only a bead sight at the end of the barrel. My son would like ghost ring sights like I have on my 590A1.

What are our options to upgrade from the bead sight without the cost eclipsing the cost of the gun?

More knowledgeable people will most likely chime in but what model gun? What size barrel? The receiver will most likely have to be drilled and tapped and I think the front post for the ghost ring will need to be soldered on. But I could be wrong...

It's a Mossberg 500 20 ga. with an 18.5" barrel.

I guess there won't be a simple cost effective solution. Any type of picatinny rail attachment that fastens to the side of the receiver?

I guess I'll run it by the local gunsmith to see what he suggests.

Please keep the info coming.

Thank you

Good thread that you linked me to. Thank you. Unfortunately, I lack the confidence to try drilling into the gun.

I'm thinking maybe this
Weaver
4.6 out of 5 stars 169Reviews
Weaver No-Gunsmith Converta Shotgun Mount - Mossberg 500, 835 (12 Gauge Only) Gloss Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00162QKT6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know it says "12 ga. only" but the customers answers make clear it works fine on the 20 ga. too.

Maybe that with a red dot will be a good alternative?

I have not seen that before. That looks like it would work with a red dot. You certainly won't be out much money to try it. If you give it a go I hope you post up some pics and a review on how it installs and functions. I'd like to hear what you end up doing and good luck!

I bought a Millett saddle mount for my 12ga. The millet is all metal and dosen't say anything about fitting a 20ga.

DSCF0018.JPG DSCF0017.JPG

I would definitely check about the 20ga fit.

Problem is for that price you could pay a smitty to drill the receiver for ya.

Thanks for all the input. For now we are going to hold off on making any changes. He tried it out for the first time yesterday with just the bead sight and did pretty well.

Definitely not anything like a ghost ring, but I like the truglo replacement bead I've put on mine.

th

Take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks for all the input. For now we are going to hold off on making any changes. He tried it out for the first time yesterday with just the bead sight and did pretty well.

I have several shotguns, but only one with ghost rings and it gets shot the least.

For me the basic bead sight is much faster on target acquisition and well suited for accurate hits on target at any range I've attempted. It becomes second nature with a little practice...

Back