• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Thsnks i'll give it a try. With the outer shell made of polymer. I wasn't sure if the front sight wss metal or plastic. I was concerned with breaking tip. Thanks once again.

So I have the same problem. Low and left. More low than left, as I can adjust my sights so I'm centered. I emailed customer service and gave them my serial # and date of purchase and asked if there may be a problem with the barrel. I was told that I'd have to ship it to them so they can look. I'm not sure if I want to go that route after reading some of you have had your rifle with them for a few months.

I guess right now as long as the weather is nice, I'll give it a good cleaning and try to get more rounds down range. Maybe when it gets cold outside ill send it off to get looked at.

Dysfunctional said:
I called Mossberg today about my 715T flat top that is in for warranty repair because it shoots low and left. It has been there since the end of January 2013. They tell me mine and two others are waiting on new barrels to arrive from Brazil. Expected delivery date to them is 6 May 2013. After they get them they will work on the rifles and sight them in. Personally I question whether it is the barrel or not (I suspect the plastic body/rail setup myself) but as long as they fix the issue I'll be happy.

Wohoo! Finally...got it back from Mossberg (only took eight months). They said because they had it so long that they were going to send me a new rifle. I opened the box and it is the same serial number I sent them. There was no explanation in the box as to what they did. There was a target included that had a tight pattern and was supposedly at 20 yards with the iron sights. I carefully examined the rifle and it looks to me to be the exact same barrel. The two plastic halves of the clamshells also look the same. The rear iron sight is nicely centered (not adjusted all the way to the side). I cannot see any new parts or obvious fixes. So I removed the iron sights and stuck the 3.5-10x scope on it (along with all the previous tac-t-cool attachments) and skeptically went out and setup a target at 25 yards. I was using the same ammo that I had before and everything except the weather was essentially the same. First shot was low and right. I easily dialed in the scope and am getting a somewhat tight pattern at 25 yards. I zeroed the laser dot on the crosshairs and get a tight pattern using that too. Tight enough that I was able to pick off a chipmunk at about 25 yards after he completed a garden raiding mission and was sitting there with his cheeks full smirking at me. I don't know what they did but now that I can hit where I am aiming I intend to break this rifle in and am hopeful it proves to be a nice inexpensive plinker that looks cool and can dispatch any fuzzy-tailed garden raiders that the cats may miss.

Hi all, second post on MO forum. I too had low and left right out of the box. I figured out on my own, using two paperclips, how to adjust the front sight. That took care of my low problem, I was shooting level but still left. Nothing I did worked. Just this week I got an aluminum riser in hopes the poorly constructed plastic clam shell is the problem. What's this break in I am reading about above? Not sure how much ammo I've put through my 715, I'd say 300-400 rounds.

azr6SUCl.jpg

t00thless said:
Hi all, second post on MO forum. I too had low and left right out of the box. I figured out on my own, using two paperclips, how to adjust the front sight. That took care of my low problem, I was shooting level but still left. Nothing I did worked. Just this week I got an aluminum riser in hopes the poorly constructed plastic clam shell is the problem. What's this break in I am reading about above? Not sure how much ammo I've put through my 715, I'd say 300-400 rounds.

azr6SUCl.jpg

personally i usually run between 500-1000 rds through it before i consider it "broke in", you will be able to tell the difference from when its new til you get it broke in. the gun will operate smoother and function as intended. typically i'll run 100-200rds through it, break it down, clean it, reassemble it, and put another 200-300 rds through it before the next cleaning. the grime n gunk from spent powder/lead will help polish/hone the machined parts to a proper fit. once you get the weapon operating properly then i clean it after every time i shoot it.

I bought one of those multi-caliber laser bore sights from eBay for $20 and used that to zero in my red dot. That made the job a very easy one, and I also discovered using it that the iron sights are truly hopeless. With the rear sight at max elevation I still couldn't get them anywhere near lined up.

Samiel2d said:
personally i usually run between 500-1000 rds through it before i consider it "broke in", you will be able to tell the difference from when its new til you get it broke in. the gun will operate smoother and function as intended. typically i'll run 100-200rds through it, break it down, clean it, reassemble it, and put another 200-300 rds through it before the next cleaning. the grime n gunk from spent powder/lead will help polish/hone the machined parts to a proper fit. once you get the weapon operating properly then i clean it after every time i shoot it.

Which this is no way the norm for most firearms. In the 25-30 years of owning many different firearms I've never had any other firearm need as much "breaking in" for it to function properly.

I know the 715 or 702 is considered a low priced or cheap model when comparing others on the market, but even a Marlin 60 that cost a cheap $69 new back in the mid 80's functioned properly out of the box without needing 500-1000 round "break in".

Breaking in should just smooth out the action and be needed to make the gun function correctly

gooffeyguy said:
Samiel2d said:

Which this is no way the norm for most firearms. In the 25-30 years of owning many different firearms I've never had any other firearm need as much "breaking in" for it to function properly.

I know the 715 or 702 is considered a low priced or cheap model when comparing others on the market, but even a Marlin 60 that cost a cheap $69 new back in the mid 80's functioned properly out of the box without needing 500-1000 round "break in".

Breaking in should just smooth out the action and be needed to make the gun function correctly

like i said, this is my personal way of breaking in my weapons. i have done this with every semi auto weapon i have bought, and have not had a serious issue in breaking them in like this. and when i said operating properly, i simply meant it smooths out the action. which imho if it stops malfunctions, then it helps the weapon operate properly. to each his own though, i will continue to break my weapons in this way, as i have not had any problems breaking my weapons in this way.

I too have found that my 'break-in' periods are longer than is often related by users.
I first thought my 715 carry handle was a mistake. The first month or so I owned it was fraught with failures of every kind.
But I persevered and now, a year later I have (as of this past weekend) over 5K rounds through it with only a handful of failures...most of which have been an ammo issue.
It is not uncommon to go take a couple hundred rounds out for an afternoon shoot and not have a single issue.
I have found this true for my other rimfires as well (a Savage .22WMR and two Marlin XT). The manual on all stated a break in period of maybe 25-50 rounds...you know, shoot five, clean, shoot five more, clean, etc.
All three were purchased the end of last year and all have about 1500 rounds through them. All of them have just recently settled in enough to do definitive ammo testing to find out which each really prefers.

I am happy to report, I am shooting level and straight using a red dot. I think my problem all along was the iron sights that came with the rifle. My rear iron sight is kind of crooked.

Hey guys. Just got a 715t flat top about 2 weeks ago. haven't had time to go shoot it yet but got a few things for it. I put a reflex red dot on it and used a bore laser sight to set the red dot at about 60 ft. I figured I would see how well the iron sights zero out but it looks like the sight is way off. Even if crank the rear sight all the way to the right, I'm still off about the thickness of the front post.

Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

edit: Sorry I didn't realize this was the same thread that I made the other comment on.

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this up. Didn't really find an answer on the iron sights being off. I also used a laser bore sighter and it shows left and down. Are the iron sights just hopeless?

Methinks the answer is yes.

The factory sights are not the best quality one could hope for, but regardless they are mounted on picatinny rail split right down the middle on two sides of a plastic shell. No matter how you try to secure it, the rail sides will move and torque slightly while handling the rifle. Add to that the rifle receiver and barrel moving inside the shell and it's not a very good recipe for consistent shot placement...

The factory sights on the flat top are actually not half bad. The plastic case halves is what really sucks. Took the gun apart last night to install a new trigger spring and took a good look a the two haves apart. The part that covers the barrel was completely off from the part that holds the chamber. They weren't even close to being inline. Then I put each half on and looked to see how it lined up with the notches on the top of the dovetail. Sure enough, it went in further on the left housing just like everyone else. I ended up not shimming it because I already have a red dot so I didn't plan to use the iron sights.
I think a riser won't help much in my case as its the front rail that is crooked and not the rear rail. Anyways, just wanted to add my experience on this. Still happy with the gun and can't wait to get out on the range to do some shooting.

Back