• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote hunting with Mossberg 500

A

a1madrid

Ok so I went rabbit hunting yesterday with my Mossberg 500 with a modified choke and some 7 1/2 bird shot. This went awesome and I shot a lot of rabbits. However while I was out there I saw a few coyotes and I got to thinking about what would be the best coyote hunting setup on my Mossberg 500. I was thinking #4 buck but again was unsure as to what the best load would be from some more experienced coyote hunters. Also, what are some really good aftermarket chokes for coyotes? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from MI!!

Must be nice to have year round rabbit hunting, my season does not start until Sept 15th.

Thank you! Yeah out here in NM rabbits are considered non-game so you can go shoot them all year long. Same with coyotes.

Ok so I went rabbit hunting yesterday with my Mossberg 500 with a modified choke and some 7 1/2 bird shot. This went awesome and I shot a lot of rabbits. However while I was out there I saw a few coyotes and I got to thinking about what would be the best coyote hunting setup on my Mossberg 500. I was thinking #4 buck but again was unsure as to what the best load would be from some more experienced coyote hunters. Also, what are some really good aftermarket chokes for coyotes? Thanks guys.

Hi @a1madrid !

I'm only just seeing this and I hope I can be helpful here.

I've been going through the same process recently of deciding on a set up for coyote.

I had purchased the Carlsons coyote choke some time ago and initially was dissatisfied and unimpressed. In large part because their site suggests its suitable for use with buckshot and I had intended to use buck of some sort. I patterned 00 of a few brands, velocities, diameter, and shell length. The best results were from #4 but even so it wasn't good enough for use beyond 25 yards or maybe 35 max.

I both spoke personally with the Carlsons, Scott and Shane his son, as well as techs. On the phone and through email. I treated it as an investigation I needed to get to the bottom of. I mean, how could it be such a great selling product if it doesn't perform?

Eventually, what it came down to, was the load. The Carlson's coyote choke like heavier than lead, (HTL), like tungsten alloys and shot sizes smaller than buck, T through B loads. I so far like the Winchester 3" Xtended range, hi-density B. I have much more on my experiments in another thread complete with pictures and I have pics up on Instagram as well under user @rossignolbrad. I have stayed in contact with Carlsons and have provided them with my findings and experiences as well as my frustrations.

Another load that is highly recommended (by Carlson's and a few others) is the Hevishot Coyote T load. Give me a sec and I'm goin to link up a couple things.

Back