• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg bolt action rifles

Sirex

.22LR
I am posting this question here because I am not sure which Mossberg rifle subforum to post in. I don't know much about the Mossberg bolt action rifles. Which is the high end, or most accurate one? If you compare the ATR, Patriot, 4x4 and MVP (taking the magazine advantage out of the equation), which would you say is the best for punching little holes in paper far away? I have a Remington 700 in 308, but would like a Mossberg also, eventually. Thanks!

Ok, just checking.

You'd be good to go with any of their rifles an don't necessarily need anything special to reach out to 500yd. It's all about getting to know the rifle and how different projectiles behave between the muzzle and your target. External ballistics begin to play a more significant role when approaching 500yd and beyond. None of their rifles should be any more "accurate" that any other out of the box and consistent shot placement on target is all up to the shooter.

Selecting which rifle is best for your intended type of shooting is a process in itself. Matching the right combination of barrel twist rate for the ammo you intend to use is crucial. Finding the right balance of barrel length and rigidity is key as well. I prefer shorter, heavier bull barrels for 500yd and in. At distances further out than 500yd, the longer barrels can offer a slight velocity advantage. Once you've found the right rifle to suit your needs, it's still what happens behind the rifle that will make all the difference in putting up tight groups on target...

Back