• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Long term storage

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As the title implies, seems like this is a topic that often comes up.

Long term weapon and ammunition storage.

It is probably "not so common" knowledge that many oils that are good for lubricating your gun while you are shooting, are not all that great on a gun that is going to be stationary and unused for long periods of time. The oils often get "gummy" from a lack of better description and are a chore to clean up. Especially in hard to access area's and nooks and crannies.

Recently, I was looking for some cosmoline just for the purpose of long term storage.

Sadly, I found the company has stopped making it.

The closest thing I could find is called RUST VETO from brownells. It seems to be a very close copy of it and I think it would work as well for that.

On top of that, I think using the Z CORR rust inhibitor bags would be the most likely route that I would take.
manufacturers description: https://www.zcorrproducts.com/pages/how-it-works

I don't pretend to know how well it will work or what its' limitations are, but it would seem to be the best thing I know of.

I will also tell you that I do like vacuum packed "food saver" bags for some items, however, they can and do lose their seal sometimes.

I also know that often PVC pipe will have water condensation on the inside of the tube if it is placed above the frost line in the ground. Or anywhere that the temperature inside and outside of the tube is not the same, and can also leak if placed near a water table.

I am curious if there are other good product(s) out there that live up to their hype, so I'm all ears if you know of any.

Ammunition storage

OK. I'm sure the most obvious choice is going to be the good old surplus ammo can. Countries all around the world use them.

But has anyone buried one for maybe years?

I know the metal has paint on it which would help it resist corrosion, but in the end, it's still a steel box and will eventually rust through.

Maybe not in a few years, but it WILL eventually happen; end of story.

Has anyone tried 5 gallon food grade buckets?

Reason I ask is that from all the information that I have gathered, sunlight will break down the plastic long before they bio-degrade because bacteria doesn't like to munch on petroleum based products. And everything I have gathered says that sunlight does more to degrade plastic/petroleum products than anything.

So, my question is, would ammunition stored in vacuum sealed mylar bags with 02 absorbers placed in a 5 gallon food grade bucket be better protected (long term)?

From everything I have read over the years, temperature adversely affects gun powder a lot worse than air or time. I have even read reports coming back from the sand box that ammunition that has been stored in un-air-conditioned warehouses that can normally reach 120 degree's have a high failure rate after as little as 10 years in storage (and yes, this was in ammo cans).

So, my question is: Is there something better?

I'm not burying either. But things can still deteriorate above or below the ground. I'm just trying to see what the best options out there are.

But burying is something I've heard a lot.

And as for the idea of coating the cans, that is different.

I agree in aggressive conditions. But I'm sure the surplus M2 ball I shoot hasn't been treated with kitten gloves either being made in the 60s.

No, I mean, have you tried storing anything in the pipes like that? I was curious if it worked better.

I haven't, but read where a guy tried this with ammo and stored it for a period of a few years. I forget which periodical I read it in, maybe online? He showed pictures of the area when he first buried it, then came back in several years to see what the results were. You could see the new growth of foliage near the area and after digging it up everything was just as he left it several years prior.

If the gun is not being buried-don't think you'll need anything to preserve your rifle. My Brother's "go-to" 500 sat in the barn exposed to heat, cold and humidity for years. Other than a little surface oxidation on the barrel, discoloration of the steel parts, it's good to go. In a SHTF scenario, I'd hate to have to clean cosmoline off a firearm in the field without hot water, a heat gun, 30 rolls of paper towels to sop up the cosmo..............Owned a few Mosins and an SKS that required all sorts of work to get the old cosmo out of the works and wood. Never got the cosmo out of the Mosin furniture and it would sizzle and drip around the barrel after 30 rounds or so. Always left a puddle on the bench and spattered my shooting glasses when hot.

On the storage of ammo. I still shoot plenty of big old "spam cans" of old WWII leftover 7.62x.39 and 7.62x.54 ammo. I highly doubt these things were stored anywhere but old hot warehouses. Never had any FTF's with this old stuff. I suppose keep the ammo from freezing below the frost line and all should be fine.

The corrosive primed surplus ammo lasts forever. Had a can of brass 1952 7.62x54r that ripped through my 1939 Tula without issue. The only ammo I've ever had go south was 22lr from the 70's I found in one of my foot lockers. It had been in my folks basement for years. It actually fired, but it sounded off-tune and I didn't want to risk a squib in my old Winchester 190. There's a good video on you tube of a guy shooting old, rusted shotgun shells. Search on You Tube, "old shells fired from a shotgun". They went bang in spite of their condition.

I started out putting bulk ammo in cans, but after a while, that took far too much space when storing multiple calibers and gauges.

It is easier to put loose ammo in mylar vacuum/heat seal bags in a 5 gallon bucket. It takes a lot of effort to move around, but doesn't take up near as much space. And storing ammo loose, you'd be surprised how many rounds will fit in the same amount of space. Especially pistol calibers. I would dare say a 5 gallon bucket will hold upwards of 4500 9mm. 3000 223 or 7.62x39.

Lot less expensive than buying a crap load of 50 cal cans too, and being thick plastic, will not rust in our lifetimes ;)

51v9VG7CGOL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/10-OxyFree-Ab...1445744729&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+zip+mylar

ZCORR works for me too John...!!

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/

Been using them for over a decade...(found them through my job with the DoD)...and as long as they have been on the GSA schedule.

GSA Contract: GS-07F-0184Y
DUNS Number: 612721464
CAGE Code: 1RWT6

MILITARY ORIGINS

The U.S. Marine Corps solicited the development of a flexible packaging system that would replace their existing method of preservation packaging for anti-corrosion protection of refurbished M-16 Rifles. The new system needed to increase packaging speed and provide equivalent or superior corrosion inhibiting properties to the existing package (weapon wrapped inMIL-PRF-3420G paper and heat sealed inside a MIL-B-117, TY I, CL E, ST 1 barrier bag; MIL-PRF-131).

To achieve this goal Heritage Packaging developed a new type of material, BluGuard-VCITM. It is a material that combines the VCI properties and barrier properties of two material into one. Using this new material, a new package was designed that exceeded all of the performance requirements of the military and was awarded the Flexible Packaging Association’s Gold Award for Technical Innovation.
Heritage Packaging recognized that this technology could be easily transferred to the commercial marketplace and developed a set of more modular products to be branded as ZCORR Products.ZCORR Products utilize identical VCI and barrier packaging technology as tested by the military to provide the ultimate in corrosion protection.

M16 Rifle Bag Testing

The Marine Corps needed to compare Heritage Packaging’s new system to their existing system. Testing was conducted by USAMC LOGSA PSCC in Tobyhanna, PA during the spring & summer of 2003. Test samples were subjected to;
  • Cold Temperature (-40 F, 24 Hour Duration)
  • Temperature Shock (-40 F to 95 F)
  • 1 High Temperature Cycle (91 to 160 F, 24 Hour Duration)
  • Ten 24 Hour High Temperature / High Humidity Cycles (86 to 140 F, 95% RH)
  • Free Fall Drop Test (2 Flat Faces From 3 Feet)
  • Loose Cargo Vibration, Repetitive Shock (1 Hour Duration)
  • Handling Throughout Testing and Inspection
Test Results

The test center in Tobyhanna deemed, “Bag very durable & easy to use; No detectable rust/corrosion on any rifle; No condensation/dampness inside any bag; Bag remained unchanged by environments (not saturated, repelled condensation); Performed equal to or better than MIL-PRF-131 with MIL-PRF-3420 in preventing rust/corrosion of M16 rifles under varying environmental exposures.” Additionally; packaging productivity was increased from 3 rifles per hour to 4-6 rifles per minute.

Back