• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

JM Pro cracked stock spacer

dude

.22LR
Supporter
I have multiple firearms with synthetic stock or frame, and for some reason I have a problem with synthetic parts from Mossberg.
I am using JM Pro for clay target shooting. I am using regular target loads 7 ½, 8 and 9.
No reloads and no hot or nitro loads, just factory loads and majority of my ammo rio 2 3/4 dram 1210 fps 1 oz. My typical range session ~ 100 – 150 rounds and at this point I shot between 1500 to 2000 rounds.

I have another issue with plastic part from Mossberg.
When I installed factory spacer I also installed corresponding metal part in the stock.

Stock spacer cracked in the middle. Please review attached files.
Have you seen this before? It this common issues with Mossberg.

Attachments

• IMG_20150706_212046.jpg
    IMG_20150706_212046.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20150706_212053.jpg
    IMG_20150706_212053.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 37
I have over 10,000 rounds through my 930. I no longer use it as I have grown tired of replacing plastic parts that break, triggers that fail, bulging case heads on light skeet loads, front sights falling off, undersized pins from the factory and over-sized pins sent as replacements, replacement parts sent from the factory that look like they had a previous life on a gravel road....

Never mind about my issues. They are not common. You and I are just the exceptions.

Mossberg, you have great potential in the 930 shotgun. Hire someone or some people to help you realize that potential and deliver on it.

bulging case heads on light skeet loads

OMG, thanks so much for posting this. I never knew this was an issue until this happened 3 times with Remington loads in my Stoeger cowboy shotgun. What a pain while on the clock. Nothing to do with my 930, but I see this has happened to other people. I now use Walmart Federal rounds for matches.

First time I have seen this issue occur. But I also am unaware of anyone using one of the spacers.

If you contact Mossberg I'm sure they will send you a replacement.

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

He has helped many members here resolve their issues.

We run the spacers all the time in our guns, usually the .250 drop on most of them. We've never seen that happen, but there may be something to how tight the recoil tube nut is when you install the stock. If you don't have any immediate luck with Mossberg, PM which one you need (unless it is the .250, which we likely don't have spares) and we'll try to help you out.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

As far as tube nut, it was hand tight (no power tools), because I was afraid to strip threads on tube.
I also used medium threadlocker.

Thanks for the offer, I contacted Mossberg and they are going to send me replacement parts.

In general, I am surprised with stock customization market.
I know that injection mold and RnD can have significant upfront cost. CNC could be an option for a smaller shop.
I am not sure why big companies are not including additional options.
I simply do not understand why Mossberg does not offer cast on / cast off spacers, monte carlo snapon, adjustable length of pull system or extend FLEX system to semiauto.
At least Remington offers set to adjust length of pull.
Some companies have adjustable stock.
Unfortunately, it’s really expensive in compare to shotgun price and not everybody likes pistol grips.
For example, I paid $600 for JM Pro and now I need to pay $250 to $300 a stock that my work for me or not and I cannot transfer to another firearm.
I got adjustable stock for Remington 870, tried for couple of sessions and now I am going back to standard stock, but I cannot transfer this stock to my another firearm.
Maybe it is time to go to “Lego” style system? Fist part : vendor specific adapter, so I want to transfer custom stock to another firearm, I just need to replace adapter.
I saw some nice fully adjustable stocks but they cost $$$ with fancy walnut and they are for expensive shotguns.
Something like this should cost less to make.
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/41-dragunov-fpk-psl/109476-fully-adjustable-butt-stock-psl.html
An adapter between receiver and stock should be aluminum. The rest of the stock: plastic or aluminum with some rubberized coating.

We run the spacers all the time in our guns, usually the .250 drop on most of them.

I attached two pictures.

As you can see, 250 drop spacer has more plastic on top.

375 rise spacer simply cracks on top.

It should be machined from aluminum or any other metal

a.jpg b.jpg

If you had no plans to change your spacers again, it would be tempting to simply re-profile the front of the buttstock where it meets the receiver, creating the correct interface angle on the stock itself using a sanding table.

We'll play with the spacers a bit and get them to the nerdery to see what it would take to replicate them out of aluminum. It might be a bit spendy for a one-off, but it may work its way into another project we're working on.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back