• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good Weekend

Got away this past weekend and took some of the toys with me. had a full day at the range which meant that I could try out some of my load development, found a combination that had holes overlapping and punching out the POA with the .270 ATR, think I will settle on that. The 930 ate up just over 200 rounds without missing a beat, or that many clays either so was happy with that as well. Then went for a hunt, used the Sako 85, 223rem to neck shoot a Fellow deer at just on 190 meters so handed the rifle over to the lad, telling him that was how it is done. End result is 7 Deer and a load of brass needing to feel wanted again, should see the three of us in meat for a month or two.

That is outstanding.

Good to see the loads you worked up doing so well.

After just starting to reload some myself, I've seen how much work can go into it.

As for taking your son deer hunting, that is also a respectable thing to do. Young children need to learn about life and death, where things comes from, and how things work in the real world.

Well done.

Where are you hunting? That is a lot of deer for this time of year.

Hunt was down here in New Zealand on a cousins farm where the wild deer numbers are getting a little high so the invite was to help reduce the numbers, not that we made much of a dent. Have been reloading for a number of years and as such I must caution you it can become somewhat addictive, there is always something to try, a new powder or projectile the list goes on, then of course there is a better tool...

While I do go hunting with my son in this case it was the young lad that works for me, someone who was starting down unfortunate paths but over the past year has "come right" and the trip was both a bit of a reward and a chance to see what else was available in life. It has also given him the chance to take some meat home and get that feeling some of us know when you know that you harvested the food on the table.

John A, just to bring you up to speed my son, Anthony is 28 and has a liking for climbing mountains, hence that is where he prefers to hunt, now I started having a family in my early thirties so you do the maths as I have stopped counting years ago. Point is there is not much left to show him in fact he is the one who is always trying to "update the old fellows gears" still that is as it has always been I suspect. It is because of this that I have the .270 as he "felt" that the .303Brit was not up to the job, still has more deer to it's name than the .270 has, good as it might be.

In that case, even being 28 years old, it sounds like you've already lived by example.

I'll still give you a thumbs up for that.

My oldest son is in his lower 20's, and I still have two living at home ranging from 8-15 years old.

Ahhh New Zealand.
Its not hunting season yet in my state in the USA. That is why I was curious.
Congrats on the successful hunt and helping the young boy find the right way in life.
A hunt is a fantastic reward to help keep him on the path to a good life.

Damn I am envious....nice trip....

Back