• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival food.

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This would probably make a good "Question of the Month" topic but I'd rather find out some info now.

I know many of you can or prepare your food stores but most of us don't have the time to do that and/or learn the skills necessary to not create 100 bottles of botulism for later consumption... ;-) We have a small pantry of staples but the shelf life on most foods nowadays is listed in weeks or months vs years. And it requires constant rotation and replacement.

There are many advertised "survival foods" out there, a myriad of companies that claim to provide a nutritious, good tasting, 25-ys shelf life product. Some have good reviews, some have bad reviews.

If there anyone who has used these products? Any recommendations for or against a particular product?

Not looking to eat my way thru WWIII but would like to have something to fall back on for 3-5 months if need be.

Thanks.

3-5 months is easily attainable with any canned food.

For long term storage you asked about; Spam, and vacuum packed rice.

I just have a crap ton of MRE's , a gun to kill food with , a way to catch fish, lots of edible vegetation , 5 ways to start a fire, 4 ways to purify water

I just have a crap ton of MRE's , a gun to kill food with , a way to catch fish, lots of edible vegetation , 5 ways to start a fire, 4 ways to purify water
This

But also, get yourself a dehydrator. You can make some meals that can last a long time in the fridge with it being vacuum sealed or frozen.

Just add hot water and you have a delicious meal.

Mr.Babelfish5 is a hiker and has a great series on recipes for dehydrating. His Beans & sausage is amazing and I ate it on the trail during one of my charity hikes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBabelfish5/videos

I would like to do that for Jetboil meals .....my wife has a huge dehydrator for here dog treat business

He has some really good recipes.

Hawkvittles is another spot I buy if I have no time to make meals for a hike.

Buffalo stew and cowboy pasta mmmmmmm

No MREs but got everything else covered...well, 2 ways to purify water.

I'm also thinking about the rest of the family. No one but me hunts or fishes. If there isn't a grocery store available then they will starve unless there is something available for them.

I'm also thinking about the rest of the family. No one but me hunts or fishes. If there isn't a grocery store available then they will starve unless there is something available for them.

I have friends that lived in AK on Mountain House for a while and say they were real good, way better than MRE's they said......but for storage and shelf life cases of MRE's are hard to beat.
But thats if your able to hole up in the situation. So many situations......cant pack cases of MRE too easy when if your on the run.

its just hard to try to cover that , its one of those situation that is going to have to be shook out if we get in that spot. See what works, what doesn't and learn we don't need to really eat the amount of food we think we need.....I think getting the water thing figured out is my biggest priority....I can cook with water , drink it , use for hygiene .....

grab a couple Sawyer Mini's....https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

Leaving water in a clear bottle for a few hours in the sun will also purify. UV rays will kill most of the micro organisms.

There's a few tricks to purifying water.

no way in hell I would trust that....
Worst case survival scenario.... I'd do it if by chance I had a water bottle and zero means to start a fire. When I'm hiking I have a few methods to purify water and a few methods to start a fire.

Back