• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a rookie but I love my DD. It has given me no issues and out shoots me every range trip. If it was priced right and built to the same quality as my V11... yes I would totally get one BUT and I must say this, If I had enough money I'd buy one of everything.

Come shoot mine and you be the judge. I wasn't trying to sway anyone, I was being totally honest.
I'm sure its awesome, I just thought that was funny .
As you become less of an AR rookie the more you will realize roll marks don't mean that much most the time these days....

I agree Oli. At least in terms if you're going to build your own, you pick and choose exactly what YOU (the builder) thinks is best.

Though, when buying a factory built gun, the brand does go a long way because the quality of the parts they use, and their QC and customer service after the fact, could mean the difference in a bad gun or an excellent one.

I'm sure you understand that after your experiences concerning the quality of some of the parts you've received and used in the past.

Though, when buying a factory built gun, the brand does go a long way because the quality of the parts they use, and their QC and customer service after the fact, could mean the difference in a bad gun or an excellent one.

I'm sure you understand that after your experiences concerning the quality of some of the parts you've received and used in the past.

yeah, there is crap everywhere .....even the best .
But I half expect that when I buy a risky priced part. I have had a stripped upper I sent back, a BCG that went bad quick.....both from questionable manufactures and as they say, reach in the toilet enough and your bound to come up with a turd.
Thing is when people go for the top shelf and still end up with a turd, that sucks.

What leads me to my belief is that I have a Frankenstein that keeps up with any boutique or "military " gun its ever met...... that could be the shooter, which goes hand and hand with my mantra ......" you can put a cat in the oven but that don't make it a biscuit"......
I learned that racing dirt bikes but it applies to so many things in life, you would get those guys showing up with $10K bikes getting whipped up on by old $3K bikes because they cant ride

wonder if PawPaw got his Colt back yet ?

I'm sure its awesome, I just thought that was funny .
As you become less of an AR rookie the more you will realize roll marks don't mean that much most the time these days....

Not the first or the last time I'll be laughed at.

I wasn't worried about the roll mark if i was I prolly woulda bought a Colt since it's the name that stands out the most. I went for what I liked and believe me I looked at a lot. I did the research and bought the best I could afford with the best reviews. I'll build my next rifle but wanted to start with quality so that way I knew it was op error not equipment. Gave me a chance to learn instead of fight qc issues. In the process I've become a huge fan.

I'm gonna try a budget build soon. Something I can thrash and not feel too bad about. I just needed to learn how to use the rifle before I learned how to build one.

I'm gonna try a budget build soon. Something I can thrash and not feel too bad about. I just needed to learn how to use the rifle before I learned how to build one.

see there you go.

You spent top dollar on a rifle that is built to withstand the rigors of warfare

you plan to build a low budget rifle that you can thrash on.....you should be thrashing on the DD because that is why you paid for the quality......by all rights it should take a complete thrashing and keep on ticking while the budget build will be long fallen apart

and my point on roll mark status , most people by expensive guns to baby around and show there fiends and the internet, nothing cooler than finding someone with a well used Noveske because they get it. These things aren't supposed to be babied, cared for and maintained yes but used hard.

of course most people sit down at a bench and shoot guns that were designed to be thrown off cliffs , I get that , to each their own. After I discovered dynamic shooting I only sit at a bench to test reloads or to group

Very true... and I'll thrash the DD too of course.

I just meant I want to try to build one and use that basically as my loaner. I won't worry about how many rounds my buddy puts through it or it being dropped/thrown. My personal rifle is the DD. I'll beat it up but that one is mine to beat up and gets love.

I'm basically going out of my way to look for a reason to build. I really don't have a good one... the DD is more then enough for me.

I'll go back to staying quiet. You don't like my posts too much and I'm just trying to contribute. Carry on.

don't know where you got that, I don't dislike any of you posts ......be quiet if you want, makes no difference to me .
I'm just giving an opinion which is worth nothing to anyone , if people find value in my opinion that's great if it is different or they think it sucks that's great too .......that is the beauty of diversity .....I have learned a lot from people I don't think I agree with

Your right you did not once say you disliked my posts.

I went into a defensive stance after you made fun of me admitting to being a rookie and saying I liked my DD. From there it seemed like you were saying I bought because of a brand name so I tried to say I was gonna build cheaper next time and you made it sound like that was wrong.

I'm just kinda confused on what point you were trying to make.

I'm just trying to learn here.

I went into a defensive stance after you made fun of me admitting to being a rookie and saying I liked my DD.
made fun of you ?.....dude, you apparently have never been made fun of.......I just said I thought your statement was funny.......someone falls down I laugh, not making fun of them , just thought it was funny

I'm just kinda confused on what point you were trying to make.

well what started this was you coming on and saying how awesome your rifle is because it outshoots you, a rookie shooter, first how do you know it out shoots you because you are the limiting factor.......
Your opinion is great and I am glad you like it but your endorsement holds no weight, they way you put it anyway.

I'm just trying to learn here.
as are we all

My first AR was a factory build.

It was made by Olympic Arms and during the klinton gun ban to boot in the late 90's well before a lot of newer folks even knew AR's were even legal to own.

Anyway, after owning the gun for a while and familiarizing myself with it, didn't take long for me to start customizing it to my preferences and after a while getting comfortable with them, I started building my own.

I have a few different AR's. And I'm the same way. If I'm going to loan one, it's not going to be my main squeeze because that one is earmarked for me, myself and I.

They can use one of my other builds. That way I don't worry so much about the treatment they dish out.

My first rifle was the Olympic Arms. I really enjoyed it. Never owned it long enough to learn its limits or my own.

I've been considering building the next. I'd really like to use Aero Precision receivers. I have a few other parts Ive been eye balling, but nothing definite. I'd like to build an 18" rifle length gas system. I want a free floated hand guard but not full rails. I may even be interested in an A2 stock, otherwise something like the Ace fixed stock.

I also from experience really like the ARMS folding A2 styled front sight which may seem a little weird with the hand guard. Not sure.

At my current income vs taxation level it may take a couple years to get done.

My one and only black rifle is a good old simple m and p 15 sport, was $630 out the door, shoots anything you feed it, was spot on out of the box, has never had a malfunction in 1500 rounds. Totally satisfied. The lack of forward assist and dust cover means absolutely nothing to me to begin with, over rated. Anyway, I am happy with my bottom barrel beginner AR, and feel absolutely confident it will go bang if I need it too.

I'm basically going out of my way to look for a reason to build. I really don't have a good one...

What you're experiencing are the symptoms at the onset of BRD (Black Rifle Disease). It spreads fast after initial exposure and afflicts hundreds of thousands of Americans each year. Sadly, there is no cure and the only way to manage the disease is to buy, build, tinker with, or otherwise modify black rifles on a regular basis. Shooting them as often as possible is a great way to keep the symptoms at bay for longer periods of time between episodes. Good news is you're in the right place and our support group is here for you.

I've dealt with the affliction for years. I've bought, built, and modified them all until I get them running like I want. There are one or two in the safe that only get shot every once in a while. My favorite and my go-to defensive rifle gets beat up at the range, battered around in the Jeep on a daily basis, and otherwise treated like a red headed stepchild. I run it dirty until it stops, then clean it up and do it all over again. I want to know how much abuse it can take until it quits. The scuffs, scratches, and dings are a reminder of the time and the thousands of rounds I've put in getting it tuned the way I like.

As for the back and forth in the posts, I wouldn't look to deep into it. We're all here for the conversation, different points of view, and none of us take ourselves too seriously. Your posts as you learn will help other members new to the AR platform and can provide a perspective that they may be able to identify with. There will always be disagreement and differences in opinion, but how we deal with those differences here are what set us apart from other forums. There is no feeding frenzy of regular members jumping on posts where opinions may differ from those of the group. So, keep the posts and contributions coming...

As for the back and forth in the posts, I wouldn't look to deep into it. We're all here for the conversation, different points of view, and none of us take ourselves too seriously. Your posts as you learn will help other members new to the AR platform and can provide a perspective that they may be able to identify with. There will always be disagreement and differences in opinion, but how we deal with those differences here are what set us apart from other forums. There is no feeding frenzy of regular members jumping on posts where opinions may differ from those of the group. So, keep the posts and contributions coming...

This is the truth.

If I were to go back and rethink my purchase, I probably would have purchased the colt 6920. But at the time there was a $300 difference and the m and p sport fit my needs.

Most ARs are good for the money but you just got to tweak them for your needs or likes. My 1st AR was a M&P15 and it has been great for my uses. No issues what so ever.
Just got done with an Anderson stripped lower for the slide fire build I wanted and slapped my M&P upper to test it out. Man that was sweet. Had a huge grin after the first outing. The other two I have already in the works are a Scorpion Tactical and Spikes lower that's currently in the process. And I'm building all 3 at a fraction of the cost of what I paid for my 1st one.
I would love a LaRue Tactical OBR but can't see me dropping 12to15 hundred on one when I could build 3 for that price. But hell, I'll probably end up getting one anyways cuz I want one. Lol. Oh well. Damn black rifle addiction. ;) (or BRD as LES put it)

Last edited:
My one and only black rifle is a good old simple m and p 15 sport, was $630 out the door, shoots anything you feed it, was spot on out of the box, has never had a malfunction in 1500 rounds. Totally satisfied. The lack of forward assist and dust cover means absolutely nothing to me to begin with, over rated. Anyway, I am happy with my bottom barrel beginner AR, and feel absolutely confident it will go bang if I need it too.
I remember before I had an AR my FIL bought a Sport. I was a Mini14 shooter and when I pulled up that Sport and shot I was impressed at the group it put out.
To this day it is still one of the best groups I ever shot with any AR, the Sport is killer, literally.
Since then I have become obsessed with the AR....just one hell of a rifle in general......so versatile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back