• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell issues

12gafun

.270 WIN
I am wondering has any one else have issues with Winchester white box target and game loads 6 shot. Every time I shoot these they stick, I really have to rack the slide to get them to eject but not with any other ammo. Thanks for feedback on this.

I have had a 500 barrel that sticks with certain ammo.
Wanting the barrel to be flawless with anything I shoot through it, I polished the chamber of the barrel.
Fixed it up real good. Smooth with everything I shoot now.

12 gauge mop attached to my drill.
Wrap the mop with steel wool.
Spin it in some metal polish before polishing the barrel.
A few careful minutes of polishing and even the cheap ammo with the heads that over expand on firing, will eject much easier.

They only shotgun ammo I ever had do that is Winchester White box. WWB is my last choice in any caliber. The only handgun ammo I've found to be worse is UMC. Run from that stuff. WWB is fine for the day of plinking (plunking) with your pistol or smoothbore pump, but it will over expand and stick until it cools down and contracts every so often. Not that often, but annoying when it happens. Never had the problem in my 500, but my friends 930 was a fail on the 2 boxes of WWB he brought to the range a few years ago. Gave him a box of Federal target and he was good to go. Fiocchi and Estate and Remington..............no problem. The 930 runs like a watch. Put 5 WWB in there and jam-o-matic.

I have had a 500 barrel that sticks with certain ammo.
Wanting the barrel to be flawless with anything I shoot through it, I polished the chamber of the barrel.
Fixed it up real good. Smooth with everything I shoot now.

12 gauge mop attached to my drill.
Wrap the mop with steel wool.
Spin it in some metal polish before polishing the barrel.
A few careful minutes of polishing and even the cheap ammo with the heads that over expand on firing, will eject much easier.

What kinda polish would you recommend, I got the steel wool and the mop but no polish. Thanks for the info!

Thanks, I will have to order some of that, I did take some 0000 steel wool on a 12 gauge mop and put it on a drill, ran that up in there for about 5-10 min and it did seem to smooth it out some more. But I am thinking that some polishing compound would really make it like butter.

That red polishing compound that comes with a Dremel kit works pretty good. I use it to polish the feed ramps on my semi auto pistols. Or, you might try some Flitz polish but I don't think it is abrasive enough to do much.

I just got a 25 round box of the #6 just for fun. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

The hulls on the white box Winchester and their Universal line are VERY thin and deform easily. The aluminum base gets wedged into the chamber, making it hard to rack them out. They throw autoloaders fits. I've copied our process for polishing chambers below...

The polishing method commonly used on gritty shotgun chambers:

Using no courser than 800 grit automotive sandpaper, wrap a section into a tube small enough to fit inside the chamber and lightly lube the chamber with light gun oil (Rem-Oil, etc.)

Attach a 12 Gauge bronze bore brush (on one section of rod) to a corded or cordless drill.

Insert the brush into the chamber, let it grab the paper and spin it for about 5-8 seconds, moving it slowly in and out a bit. Wipe the chamber clean. Run a bore snake through the barrel.

Repeat the above with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit automotive papers and light oil in the chamber. Wipe the chamber clean and run a bore snake after each grit.

Cover the bronze brush with a piece of cotton cleaning patch. Wipe a very thin coating of Flitz or Mother's Mag Wheel Polish into the chamber. Spin the patch for 8-10 seconds. Wipe chamber.

With a dry cotton patch on the brush, run it another 8-10 seconds. Once complete, spray the chamber out with gun solvent (Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, etc) and follow with a bore snake.

Lube the chamber and bore with a bit of CLP and then run the bore snake through again.

As with anything that you can't easily add material back to, go slow, take your time and don't overdo any of the steps. All we're looking to do is knock down the machining marks that are grabbing onto those textured shells and expanded bases on the way out. We aren't trying to turn it into a 10 Gauge.

;)

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Yeah, the Winchester universals suck royally. I had some that would swell and bulge and not even feed/chamber correctly.

Winchester 22's aren't much better either. While they'll chamber, you can tell just by listening to the report that they're not loaded uniformly and some are loud, and some are rather dull sounding. And forget about getting any kind of decent groups with them, but that's probably a subject for another topic.

Everyone universally avoids Winchester universal shells.:) Even the SuperX isn't what it used to be.

Buy Remington STS loads if you want a good shell.

Great I just got some Winchester Target loads, a 100 round box, I thought it was Federal when I grabbed it but when I got home discovered they where Winchester.

Back