• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Accessories...

Re: What do 930 owners want to see in the aftermarket?

I couldn't imagine carrying a mossberg 930 autoloader with the BullDozer all day

It is a significant amount of weight. Over three pounds if I remember right. And I think the actual rail length was something like six feet.
I ran it for a little while to see what it was about and do a review on it.
It was really for cosmetic as opposed to functional purposes. It was meant for people that wanted a very distinctive shotgun, and it succeeds at that. Putting four rails around a shotgun by neccessity makes the rail body very wide, and very tall. Now in order to keep that from cheese gratering everything, you have to add at least the ladder rail covers. Those are functional, but panels work better, so add those to the width and height. The rail adds weight forward of the receiver, so if you have to carry it for a long time, that is going to wear on you. For fun shooting, shooting from a rest/bench, or similar it would be fine. But it is a lot of weight and bulk to carry around for a serious use gun.
The Rhino was a much more practical design if you're wanting a full length top rail, and some side rails out front to mount stuff on. From the non-functional/looks side, the Rhino still has something of a unique look as well. It is a more balanced looks vs. function unit that can appeal to both. The weight is less than the Bulldozer, but more than a simple railed forearm. ETA is trying to modularize the concept by having the Rhino, with the option of the railed forearm to add to it if the user wants one. That way the system will work together and the user can customize for the full package or just the component desired. There are pictures of their system up on their site if you want to see how they would look together.

Thanks for the welcome M24.....and the answers. Looking forward to seeing this place grow as people learn of its existence.

-Jax

AFG on stock forend. Advice needed.

Guys here's my idea:
IMG_20101022_121155.jpg

IMG_20101022_121141.jpg

Magpul AFG on the stock forend. Yeh I know just get the new aimpro forend. Well I guess two factors that involve my impatience and money being spent on other weapons have me holding off from purchasing aimpro's rail. Plus I am waiting for ETA's version to check out.
I bought the AFG with the intention of putting it on the AR. I run a thumbs forward grip on all my firearms and thought this would be perfect. After about a month of trying it out I decided I like my Larue FUG better. I've been wanting to try this thing on the Mossberg for a while. Well after 2 hours of not going to sleep last night I decided to start playing with this set up. I had to grind down the 'ears' on the front of it to make sure the entire length was flush with the forend. I have to admit I really like this setup. The only downside I can see so far is that the AFG makes transitioning from shoulder to shoulder slower. Normally I would just run my firing hand under the gun and grab the front while transitioning. Well I can't do this anymore b/c the rear of the grip gets in the way. With some training I'll perfect this I am sure.
In the pictures above the AFG is not permanently attached. Its just on the gun with some cheap easily removeable glue. My question is what do you guys recommend as to how I can permanently attach this thing? Yeh I know just screw it on. If you are familiar with the 930 at all you know there is very little room between the forend and the action but this is still an option if I can figure out how to do this. One option (besides JB Weld ;)) is to use a few of these:
IMG_20101022_121238.jpg

In the bag is a screw and backing plate for a Magpul MOE rail section. I am considering counter sinking the inside of the forend and placing the plate in that cutout and drilling a hole through the grip for the screw. If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear it. Apologies for being long winded and thanks in advance.

-Jax

Re: AFG on stock forend. Advice needed.

I dunno dude as far as advice goes, but I like it and if you can make it work, go for it! I wouldnt a thought to try it.

I posted this over on M4Cnet too.
I think the problem you may run into is exactly what you're afraid of: lack of room.
I don't know just how much room there is for the backing plate in the OEM forearm. Also, with the AFG being similar to a lever, it is going to be exerting some additional force to the backing plate or screw or both, so even if you get it mounted it may not last long.
The adhesive may actually be the best route (short of one of the railed forearms).
The positive side is that the OEM forearm is not terribly thick, but that's also a negative at the same time. You may want to put that backing plate inside the forearm and just hold it on there with some tape of a very small amount of adhesive just to see if there is enough clearance. Because of the thin material, I don't know if you will even be able to countersink it.
Routing out a shallow cut (if you can) or just flattening an area of the forearm enough for something like the Magpul rail and then JB Welding the rail on with whatever purchase you can get on a mounting screw might work. Doing the same and screwing the AFG directly to the forearm may be possible as well. Either way, it is going to be something of a WECSOG fix.
Good luck with it, hope you can find a way to make it work.

Thanks for the posts. M24, I may regret this later but I JB Welded it on this morning. I scuffed up the forend really well and I know that stuff will hold. Lets hope that it'll hold up under alot of high brass loads. I am going to go ahead and try to reinforce it with someday screws after the epoxy cures. If it doesn't work a new forend shouldn't be that expensive if I can find one. Thanks for posting here and on M4C.

-Jax

I wouldn't worry about the JB Weld. I held some stuff together with that in my younger days that scares me to think about today. If it hadn't held under some pretty serious pressures I'd be dead today - stuff like brake components on a motorcycle.

sjohnny said:
I wouldn't worry about the JB Weld. I held some stuff together with that in my younger days that scares me to think about today. If it hadn't held under some pretty serious pressures I'd be dead today - stuff like brake components on a motorcycle.

What he said. JB Weld is some serious stuff. A while back while playing with a prototype I said "this would be cool if it had "this" it, some plastic panels, some screws and some JB Weld later and BAM! That thing is rock solid still. If you didn't know better you would think it was molded together like that. As long as you let that JB Weld set you should be good to go and you will have the forearm you want. Just don't plan on ever saving that forearm or that AFG for any other use ever again. I think at this point they are "till death do us part". ;)

CDMJ said:
sjohnny said:

What he said. JB Weld is some serious stuff. A while back while playing with a prototype I said "this would be cool if it had "this" it, some plastic panels, some screws and some JB Weld later and BAM! That thing is rock solid still. If you didn't know better you would think it was molded together like that. As long as you let that JB Weld set you should be good to go and you will have the forearm you want. Just don't plan on ever saving that forearm or that AFG for any other use ever again. I think at this point they are "till death do us part". ;)

lol! Nice!!! Keep rockin it then! :)

I broke the studs that held the header into the exhaust port and used JB Welded to pipe into the port. It held for a long time until I hit it with a BFH to bust it loose. Exhaust gas hits about 1600 degrees at the head IIRC.

I guess it bothers me using a glue because it feels like I am doing it half assed. But hey if it works it works.

One man's half ass is anothers whole ass...

If it works and it holds, no problem.

jaxman7 said:
I guess it bothers me using a glue because it feels like I am doing it half assed. But hey if it works it works.
Adhesives are used in aircraft production, dirt bikes, PRI freefloat tubes, front sight bases on match ARs, etc.

Invention is often the product of things like "oops, I didnt mean to do that" or innovation based on a need.

Ripcode said:
GG&G front and rear side sling adapters. I am ordering a set of these for my 930.

Moss-930-Front-SA.jpg

Moss-930-Single-Pt.jpg

Got these parts last night and installed them on my 930. Very nice. Will try to do a mini sometime soon. :mrgreen:

I would like a non ported 22-24 inch ribbed choked barrel. That way I can ditch the 18 inch I have and shoot 3gun with out the ports bumping me to "open". Supposedly they are in the works, but I am impatient.

Also a 6 round receiver mounted shell holder.

I would be happy with those 2 items.

The first you can get by cutting down one of the sport barrels. I think there is enough room behind the ports to cut and thread and still be in the 22-24" range.
As for the receiver mounted shell holders you have Mesa and TacStar, as well as the 3 Gun Gear adhesive model.

Back