• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2015 Squirrel Hunt With A 410 Bantam

Over the years I've been trying different shotguns on squirrels. I've used 12s, 16s, and 20s. This year I bought my daughter a Mossberg 510 Mini 410 and it was fun to shoot. Then I saw a youtube video of a guy using a bolt action 410 on squirrels and he didn't missed. Well, I decided to order me a Mossberg 500 Bantam 410 and give it a first time try. Well, using Federals 3" #5 shot I bagged ever squirrel I shot at which was 5 bag limit on northern Arizona squirrels. It was fun and the Mossberg shot awesome! On the next hunt I'm thinking of trying 2 1/2" #5 shot shells to see if they will do just as good as the 3" but with lesser damage to the meat.2015 Squirrel Bag Limit.jpg

Last edited:
Well done.

I cut my teeth squirrel hunting with an old single shot 410.

Other than not having the range as other larger gauge shotguns, they're very capable within reasonable distances. Even for turkey.

Good shootin' !!

Here's what I use for squirrel ( and chipmunk ) dispatching...

It's a lot more quiet ( suppressed barrel ) which doesn't scare the game away for quick and easy follow up shots on his brethren with the 3-9x40mm scope.

And...you're not spittin out pellets on the dinner plate. :rolleyes: ( head shots are real easy )...

....and I've taken dove on occasion too...

Has anyone ever posted thier hunting pics on mossberg.com's Trophy Room? I posted mine but I've yet to received their free Mossberg Dog Tags.

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Back