• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Caldwell Picatinny Mount Brass Catcher

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This thing rocks.
Yesterday i ran a 40rd mag for my last mag and really cranked them off , 20 with the gun up right and 20 with the gun on its side to see if it would stop and it ran the mag dry on its side fine.

I have tried the $12 Caldwell Velcro attach brass catcher and after a few rounds the weight of brass in the net pulls the net too close to the ejection port causing a brass not to clear, casing a stoppage.

The way this is built , with an internal cage, seems to be the ticket to keeping the net away from the ejection port

You can buy the rail attachment separately so you can have them on different rail equipped AR
The rail attachment has two spring loaded detent balls that interface with the attachment on the net , as you can see it rides somewhere in the middle as the eotech stops it before it can suck up to the receiver.
Despite that it is very secure because of the detent balls

The attachment on the net is adjustable by unscrewing two bolts , under the net material, and sliding it back and forth on the frame rail.
This is my only bitch, it sucks if you have to do that for three rifles a shooting session.
They could have just threaded the side of the attachment that faces the material and counter sunk the heads on the net opening side of the attachment so the heads would be accessible to a Allen key without any fuss with the Velcro

As a reloader I love this thing. I love it because I shoot in the woods and move around.....a good recipe for losing brass ......this has save me a ton of brass fetching and losing and is way better than the previous model.

this is 40 rounds in it, one day I'll just keep it on and see how full it gets till it stops the gun but it looks like over 100 will fit fine

Last edited:
I have the same bag on my Colt LE901 (.308) and I agree, it works really well. On my first outing with it, those screws you mentioned worked very loose. I removed the netting (it's held on with velcro) and loctited them just tight enough that I can still slide the mount back & forth, with just a litte effort.

Great review. Makes me want to try one. I hate policing brass in grass and leaves or amongst eveyone elses crap at the range.

I have one of the utg's, and mine doesn't do so well with AR's. I tend to get stoppages with it.

I decided that now that I am starting to reload my own, that I'm tired of digging through weeds and leaves and gravels to find my brass so I'm going to use a 6x8 tarp and some 1/2 inch pvc pipe for a frame to set up beside of wherever I am shooting.

With the pvc pipe, I can break it down for storage and transport and just roll it all up when I'm not using it.

The cheap, 3 foot diameter plastic kiddie pools make great brass catchers, and are highly portable. If you shoot stationary.

I sleep pretty well most of the time.

tarps and kiddy pools ?......how do you guy stay awake
Sorry Oli, weve not reached your level of Badassery yet. I keep the kiddy pool close when i practice my handgun. Drawing from holster and engaging multiple targets.

i just don't see hauling all that around but I shoot in 6 or so different spots . I like the ideas though because I still have to hunt for 9mm, 10mm...10mm lunch about 10 yards.

It's really not that cumbersome.

a few pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe and 6x8 tarp. Weighs all of 3 pounds and rolls up much smaller than a pup tent in the backseat or truck bed.

Course that doesn't take into consideration for move/shoot drills, but I shoot casually much more often than dynamically.

Back