• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 fore end

floridaguy3

Copper BB
Hello to all the great Mossberg owners out there. I have a 590A1 that I am looking to replace the factory fore end but wanted to know what others suggest or recommend. I'm looking for something that has a tactical look and would enhance the function and appearance of the weapon. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

God bless!

I like Hogue and feel it is the best upgrade as far as furniture goes. It may not be as tactically functional as you like though.

There are forends on the expensive side that have lights built in and there are simpler forends that resemble the factory forend but have rails on them. Mossberg actually makes one.

What all do you intend to do with the forend and we can narrow it down?

Thank you Rossignol and Lazy Eyed Sniper for replying. I'm looking for a fore end that feels as rugged as the 590A1 is. Something with a built in light would be great. I know that Surefire makes fore end lights but I just don't know enough about them to shell out the 300 plus dollars for one. Rossignol you mentioned Mossberg makes a fore end with a light, can you provide any additional information?

I replaced the factory fore end on my 930 Blackwater with a fore end from GG&G that's made from machined aluminum and looks beautiful. A more robust and solid feeling fore end than the polymer one that came with the weapon.

@floridaguy3

I apologize. Mossberg doesn't make one with a light built in, though I think they may have had a model equipped with the Insight light. (I think that's right)

The Insight forend is very much like the Surefire, and pricey like the Surefire.

The forend I know of that is actually made by Mossberg has built in rails so things can be attached. At least I think it's made by Mossberg, but it may be an aftermarket manufacturer. Brownells has them for less than $60.

Something else I just thought of is the Magpul forend. Rail sections can be added to those.

My preference for mounted lights was a magazine clamp with the light in a fixed position as close to the muzzle as possible. Then, with the action forward, I could access the tailcap switch with my thumb.

What size is your 590A1? On my 18.5" one I have a CmdGear MTR that I have a TLR-1s mounted on the light mount. Also added an S+J Hardware +2 extension.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448862294.076556.jpg

Thank you Rossignol and Lazy Eyed Sniper for replying. I'm looking for a fore end that feels as rugged as the 590A1 is. Something with a built in light would be great. I know that Surefire makes fore end lights but I just don't know enough about them to shell out the 300 plus dollars for one. Rossignol you mentioned Mossberg makes a fore end with a light, can you provide any additional information?

I replaced the factory fore end on my 930 Blackwater with a fore end from GG&G that's made from machined aluminum and looks beautiful. A more robust and solid feeling fore end than the polymer one that came with the weapon.

Your barrel is 18.5".

I have a couple take-off aluminum forends from UTG that are no longer in production...

Had one on my heavy barrel 590 breacher...

...and the other on my 590A1...

These things are rock solid and the rails are ready for attaching lights, etc. Not using them any more and they're still in good condition. Will part with one of the forends if you're interested...

Last edited:
I got the 590 with the Magpul furniture and am enjoying it quite a bit. Personally, I'd shy away from anything too fancy. That's a buisness end part and I want simplicity and reliability. The Magpul forend is comfy and being that it's not metal, your hand doesn't get cold if the temps get low. It also weighs almost nothing and the lighter you can make the end, the longer you can hold. I'd also shy away from a forend with light just because it sits so far back. Hold a flashlight up under the magazine tube and you'll see the huge shadow that's cast. I've put a lot of time into researching flashlights and I'm going to end up getting one that attaches right behind the front sight, to the barrel and magazine tube. Food for thought, to each their own.

Back