• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Moving away from the midlength's

least exepensive place I found that has them in stock is sarco inc @50.00

OK, let me take that back.

Numrich gun parts has the entire set (stock, grip and handguards) but they look to be in poor condition, but I guess that is a source if you wanted to maybe sand and refinish them.

She's together now.

Wish I had done this long ago.

a5044e00-8f13-4c39-8678-6e06bebfd801_zpsvgbjozsh.jpg

2de4d050-fc37-4745-9277-ff0345827444_zpshqgvefe8.jpg

f2d3d27b-e453-479c-8433-d750b6eaf857_zps0pmtv2px.jpg

25525c43-dd00-46d9-bb98-fed7be1b19ba_zpswtioxi8x.jpg

It's not 100% authentic retro, nor did I want it to be. While I like the look and feel, there were a few things that I thought would benefit from more modern enhancements.

Faster twist barrel to accommodate more modern and traditional bullet weights, lapped/trued receiver, longer LOP A2 stock, adjustable A2 rear sight, I like the way magpul pistol grip feel and the storage compartment for spare bolt and firing pin, flattop/detachable carryhandle because you just never know, meprolight tritium front post, chrome silicone springs in the extractor, ejector, flat coil chrome silicone recoil spring, and mag springs, and stainless/nitride gas tube and bcg.

In short, it's more like a rat rod than classic. But that suits me just fine.

Great project. Love the end result.

Thanks guys, I'll probably go tomorrow and dial it in with a 25/300 meter target.

Nice rifle. It really turned out nice, John.
I am going to have to invest in a lapping device. Does it seem to make much difference? I am thinking of building an A1 and an A2, just like I carried when I was in the military. As cheap as lowers are now. it would be a good time.

Yes, the prices were the main reason why I went ahead and built it. I ran out of "excuses" long ago.

As for lapping the upper, I had one other upper that had been lapped by my buddy Dtech, and it was a good shooter. This one is also a good shooter.

I can't attest that lapping one makes them inherently better, but it sure doesn't hurt to ensure that the surfaces are as flat as they can be either. I mainly did it to make the mating surface between the bolt ears and the barrel extension so everything would be as inline as possible, more than making sure the barrel wasn't canted because with modern CNC machines, we all know that isn't much of an issue.

I've known you long enough that I'd let you borrow my lapping tool/compound any time you want it, just say the word.

hope the rifle is still shooting well

I wanted to come back and share . I had my theory about these lapping tools and was confirmed by a big time Smith around these parts last weekend while I was talking to him about building.

He says they are really only to use if the rear sight , or front post , is at extreme adjustment. they help the sighting and add nothing to accuracy .Also exposes the alloy to the steel on the barrel extension shoulder

He says it can help with a barrel nut that wont time

just thought I would share that, I had posted that as MY theory but wanted to confirm what I had learned.....not that I think you guys using them did bad, just might be some misconceptions running around about lapping tools

keep your powder dry

I have lapped my 3 last builds. I agree with what your guy said as well.

The 2nd one I lapped was rather surprising at how much the face was out of square when much of the left side of the shoulder was silver, while most of the right side still had anodize, which shows just how much the shoulder can be off sometimes. I don't recall which forge company made that upper because I've had so many over the years, and without going in there to look, I want to say it was Anchor Harvey, though as we know, they are generally well done.

Back