• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why are makers moving away from HTL?

Thanks. She's one of many, but there's only a few I really ride.

I have to confess that right now my gun collection is only worth 1/10th of the skateboard collection.
:rolleyes:

But I shoot the guns maybe once a week, and I ride at least 5 days in 7 when the weather is OK.

You're in Southern California? I do remember very nice weather almost all the time.

You should get some pics of that skateboard collection! I was never good at it, but I liked trying!

Back on topic, my buddy is going to start loading some .30-30 target loads for me & I want to pare the normal 160-170 gr loads down to maybe 110-120 gr, & I'm considering some non-lead slugs to get the weight down without reducing volume.

I've never shot anything but lead and jacketed lead so I don't have a clue what exotic or base metals may be used as ammo, except the brass/bronze/copper family.

i think brass and bronze are not legal, just copper. the other reason for getting away from lead is its fouling the water ways and also leaching into our water.
the way to tick off someone from clovis is to say its part of fresno ! big hats day is a blast.

i think brass and bronze are not legal, just copper. the other reason for getting away from lead is its fouling the water ways and also leaching into our water.
the way to tick off someone from clovis is to say its part of fresno ! big hats day is a blast.

I understand the regulations regarding lead fouling in water/"wetlands" but that's actually where HTL shines above steel shot.

That and in many areas of the country that are still mostly free, we don't have some of the insane rules regulating shot. Still no lead in wetlands but we aren't nearly as regulated as some states. HTL shot is way better than steel for retaining terminal velocity at longer distances. Smaller shot that patterns more like a turkey load makes it killer.

Back