• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

So what important maintenance stuff do I need to buy first?

Hey guys,

Before I bring home my 500 and start spending all my money on mods and upgrades what are the necessities I need first such as the cleaning, lubing & general maintenance supplies (and anything else I may need). First time gun owner so ill need to know the brands and the brush lol..

I read on here somewhere to clean it as soon as you get it home? If anyone has a good link to video or guides to cleaning & maintaining a Mossy 500 correctly please do share.

And any other stuff you think I may need!

Thanks guys!

There are many, many miracle cleaner / Lube / Protectant (CLP) products out there. My suggestions for the beginner are to stick with the basics... Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent is hard to beat for shotguns. It does an excellent job for breaking up the carbon / powder / shot wad residues. Hoppes #9 gun oil for lube. With lube, a little goes a very long way. I also a big fan of Hoppes Bore Snakes.

There are many, many miracle cleaner / Lube / Protectant (CLP) products out there. My suggestions for the beginner are to stick with the basics... Hoppes #9 Powder Solvent is hard to beat for shotguns. It does an excellent job for breaking up the carbon / powder / shot wad residues. Hoppes #9 gun oil for lube. With lube, a little goes a very long way. I also a big fan of Hoppes Bore Snakes.

Thank you how often would you replace something like the bore snake? Is this all one needs for the task, what you've mentioned above? thx

One of these will work just fine:
http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-kits/shotgun-cleaning-kit-with-rod

Though as far as (liquid) cleaner goes, I am a huge fan of Carlsons choke cleaner. It's a lot less toxic than other cleaners and the citrus in it smells good too. You just need to oil the parts down after using it to neutralize the citric acid so the parts don't rust after you put the gun in the back of the closet when you're doing shooting it.

I had an old 16 gauge pump that hadn't been cleaned in years and it was surprising how much gunk came out of that barrel, even after I thought it was clean and the patches were coming out white before I used the liquid on a bore snake.

http://www.choketube.com/accessories-product-details.php?Choke-Tube-Cleaner-Carbon-Cutter&mf=900

Thank you how often would you replace something like the bore snake? Is this all one needs for the task, what you've mentioned above? thx

I am lucky enough to have a washing machine dedicated to cleaning my gun / car related stuff. With that said, my Boresnakes get washed when I notice crud on my hands when I use the Boresnake. As mentioned by other members, cleaning with a rod and brush is always a good thing. I am lazy and use the Boresnake to accomplish the same task UNTIL I notice residue remaining in the barrel (Usually in the Throat and choke areas). Then I beak out my big boy shorts and use a rod with a bronze brush and scrub the remaining crud out. It is also a good idea to remove the choke from the barrel and clean the barrels threads and the chokes threads as well (This will help prevent the choke from seizing to the barrel due to rust).

I purchased an inexpensive Hoppes kit, $20 maybe, that included rods and brushes and patches, oil, and cleaner.

Walmart carries the one that starts with an "O" I think. It's made in the US, also about $20. Darnit I can't remember the name of that one. Anyhow, it's a shotgun cleaning kit, but they used to be most popular for their carbine, M4, AR kits. It's in a black cordura type round container.

I second the boresnake. It's almost all I use. I haven't cleaned mine. But if you're actually going to clean the gun with rods and everything, get more patches. Preferably some larger patches.

I purchased an inexpensive Hoppes kit, $20 maybe, that included rods and brushes and patches, oil, and cleaner.

Walmart carries the one that starts with an "O" I think. It's made in the US, also about $20. Darnit I can't remember the name of that one. Anyhow, it's a shotgun cleaning kit, but they used to be most popular for their carbine, M4, AR kits. It's in a black cordura type round container.

I second the boresnake. It's almost all I use. I haven't cleaned mine. But if you're actually going to clean the gun with rods and everything, get more patches. Preferably some larger patches.

Otis?

Thanks guys I will for sure pick up one of those sets.. And you guys recommend cleaning before shooting yea? I just know if i pick it up from the local range Ill be itching to test it out lol.. But if its better to just head home and clean it first thats what ill do!

Yes, that's the one!

Thanks guys I will for sure pick up one of those sets.. And you guys recommend cleaning before shooting yea? I just know if i pick it up from the local range Ill be itching to test it out lol.. But if its better to just head home and clean it first thats what ill do!

Definitely clean it. The parts will have grease on them and possibly some gritty stuff left over too. Get that stuff out, clean, and apply a thin coat of oil to everything that moves.

You might be surprised how long a firearm will run without proper cleaning. I usually leave the deep clean for an evening when I want to sit down and relax. And will do several guns.

You might be surprised how long a firearm will run without proper cleaning. I usually leave the deep clean for an evening when I want to sit down and relax. And will do several guns.

For me this might be once a year. I don't shoot as much as I used to. I pattern stuff regularly but it's several rounds at a time. If I shoot every week, it may only be two or three shots. I used to shoot not as often but quite a bit more. If we went out we shot 100 rounds or so. I cleaned more often then too, every couple or few months. But now, it's just the bore snake unless like I said the action is gummy. Which right now it is. I may clean it soon, it's getting to where it doesn't wan to eject shells properly sometimes.

well, like anything, you just have to find what you are comfortable with. being a retired mechanic and shop owner, i'm the sort that wants things clean and lubed.
the thought of dirt or grit or whatever grinding away at the moving parts just gets me all wonky.

Grit breaks-in your 500 and adds patina. My 1985 500A "suffered" its first total cleaning a few months ago. Bolt out, mag tube (nail polish remover ate that Loctite up), trigger assembly (I'd never disassemble that beast)....The bolt sat in a big jar of Hoppe's #9 for a day and left about an 8th inch of carbon, dirt and grit on the bottom of the jar from 30 years and thousands of rounds with only an occasional spray of solvent every few years. I've purchased 2 more used 500s (1989 and 1991) and cleaned them thoroughly. I think I'm enjoying this new "cleaning" thing. The 500A is the American AK, i.e., cleaning is optional , but can only help. Such a great design by OE Mossberg.

Back