• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Reviews...

Not bad for around $250 at Academy. I looked at 3 different brands and Mossberg has the best deal on this gun. I am thinking about getting me one for Xmass.

I'd like to see more on it before I would decide to buy one. Its def the best price going, even at MSRP, on something like this. But I want to know more about its construction. Theres so little on Mossbergs site.

I'm assuming its operation is piston? Says it can be easily modded with any number of AR aftermarket parts currently available. Personally, I'd like to drop the A2 handle for a flat top, and lose the M16 front sight post too. Just me, I like sleeker and let me decide how I wanna make it.

Even so, these things wouldnt be enough to prevent me from buying one.

As the days go by, I find myself really diggin these. Enough so that I may buy one in the near future. .22 ammo is dirt cheap too!

Rossignol said:
I'm assuming its operation is piston?
What makes you think that? Most .22s are blowback operated - including the Mossberg Plinkster which is mentioned in the product description for this thing on Mossberg's website. I would assume this is also blowback operated.

How the operational controls compared to a standard AR? I.E. bolt release, charging handle, selector switch.

jaxman7 said:
How the operational controls compared to a standard AR? I.E. bolt release, charging handle, selector switch.

Rigtht! These things are rather vague right now, and Mossbergs site doesnt shed any light on it at all except to say it has the look and feel of an AR styled platform and can be customized with AR aftermarket parts. That leads me to think things like charging handle and bolt release would be the same? But again, its vague. Can you put a B.A.D. lever on it? I dunno. Is the delta ring the same to accept different forends? How about the stock tube, is it sized for mil-spec or commercial tubes? These things and more I wanna know!!!

Well lets hope the 'look and feel' isn't like Colt's. 22 AR rifle. The bolt catch/release and dust cover are just for aesthetic purposes and the selector switch has to be rotated 180° to switch from safe to fire. I have an M&P 15/22 and its a great little gun.

-Jax

As of right now, I'm lookin at the price and for less than $300, it looks fun.

I still just dont know though...

Well, I've handeled the thing in person.

As jax eluded to, everything that gives it the "look and feel" of an AR is purely aesthetics. The charging handle, bolt release, delta ring, upper and lower, the front sight blade... all one piece injection molded plastic and it looks as if its a colaboration with ATI. Cant verify that last bit. But everything is held together with what looks like wood screws, short pan heads. Including the front sight and rail forend. The front sight is and forend is actually 2 halves, one on each side of the barrel with half of the front sight being attached to the respective half of the rail forend. Worst part is the front sight post is on one half and catilevers overs the other half, but on the gun I looked at, the screws, while they seemed tight, werent holding the two halves tightly together so the sight post was kicked out to one side. So theres a nice ghost ring on the back, but what difference does it make.

Mossbergs site says its compatible with many aftermarket part available for AR's. That must mean for the plastic railed forend only. You cant change anything out. Not the forend, the carry handle, the front sight...

Yeah, my local gun shop has them for $240, but for $500 I could get a Sig 556. I think they had a S&W for $480.

Heres the thing, its $240. Its cheap. Ammo is cheap. In summary, At a glance, it does resemble an AR, but all the parts of an AR that make an AR an AR, are one piece, non functioning plastic. So if you want an AR or an M4gery, then get that. Spend the extra bucks. If you get the tactical .22 and know in advance what it is and what youre getting and youre ok with that, then cool. It does have the "look and feel" of an AR but in a totally nonfunctional way.

With the collapsable stock, I would consider it for one of my kids. But it isnt close enough to an AR to even train with.

I've not shot my S&W M&P 15/22 yet but laying next to my bushmaster they look like very very similar and I like how the S&W breaks down. 2 pins and you have an upper and a lower..

I fired one at our local indoor range and it was fun. Goes through a magazine a little quick with it being only 10 shots but the 25 shot clips are going to be available soon. It was my daughters bday and she had never shot any guns before so we grabbed that Tactical, a 12g shotgun, a Glock 17 and a Walther P99 and went shooting. We put probably 200 rounds through the tactical which has probably had several thousand before us and it never jammed once.

I believe you can actually buy a 25 shot version now (37204) from a couple of the US gun retailers http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id=70845 and the clips from http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/mos ... 32862.html so that's good. I've never fired a 702 so can't compare it. In fact.....I haven't shot a 22 in several years and def not one that holds like a tactical. I will be picking up one soon and already have plans to get rid of the carry handle and add a section of rail there, cut down the front site and do the same there, add pop up frt and rear sites and a scope and see what fun can be had.

Awesome, your plans for it sound really cool, so def keep us informed on that! I agree it looks like a fun little gun! I'm not smitten with it, but I am very interested to see what you do with it! ;)

I looked at the S&W and the Umarex line but sadly, here in Canada those rifles are considered restricted so can't just take em out to the back 40 and have some fun. The Ruger SR-22 was my next choice as was the Remington 597 VTR but the price of both of them kinda turned me off. The Archangel or Nordic kits for the 10/22 are appealing but in the end you have pretty much the same thing as the tactical but for way more money.

A decent 10/22 or 597 is almost $200 here in Canada then add another $150 or so for the Archangel or $250 for the Nordic kit and your well above the price of the Tactical. My wife wants to do some shooting and she's pretty small. She found the Tactical a nice light weapon. I also like that it comes with an 18" barrel which is great for accuracy.

I think I'll have some fun with the Tactical as it's non-restricted, gotten for around $250, is easily modified being plastic and at least it's an accurate gun to start with. A lot of the accessories for Airsoft guns will work on it i.e. grips, rails, scopes, lights etc etc etc. Those items are a dime a dozen from the Airsoft places.

The rifle in my sig is one I put together for a fellow for his Airsoft competitions. Most of the parts on it are from Mad Bull, MagPull and UTG with a couple of other brands in there. This is what I'm going to do with my Tactical 22.

Dude if you can figure out how to change everything out on the Tac 22, let me know! :)

I watched Snussface's video on the taking down and as soon as I saw that the front rails weren't actually all one piece with the receiver end, I knew that a lot of the Airsoft pieces could be adapted. Really all I need to do is put a solid rail on top after cutting off the A2 grab handle and leveling the front sight, add the pop up sights and scope, add rail covers to make a nice front hold, cut off the molded in handle to add a more ergonomic one, get the 25 shot magazine, add a muzzle brake and you would have pretty much what I figured. I could get really industrious and add a front threaded collar to add various types of front rails to it.

Back