• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first defensive pistol class

Ripcode

I took my first Defensive Pistol Course.

The only organized training I had previously was the course necessary to get my CPL here in Michigan.

The course covered:

The four step holster draw
Drawing from concealment
Trigger reset for faster shooting
Malfunction clearance
Engaging multiple targets
"Shoot or don't shoot" drills
Shooting on the move
Strong hand only & support hand only shooting
Shooting at 3-D targets
And more...

"More" included the thumbs forward grip and the various stances.

What this class taught me is that the CPL required course is basically nothing! :eek:

I didn't know how little I knew. I never thought I was a gunfighter, but I didn't realize how much skill is neccessary to to effectively wield a handgun.

I feel I have a better understanding and a foundation to work with. It's time to practice at home and at the range. It's time to commit to these new learned skills to habit and muscle memory.

The class was well paced and a actually a lot of fun. My strong hand is still tender from the high round count. (300 FMJ + 50 Defensive)

I found that I have a crappy trigger pull that I need to correct. Under stress I seem to shoot better than when I try to shoot non stressed. I also shoot better with my weak hand. Go figure! :lol:

I NOW understand the importance of training and I plan on getting more whenever the opportunity and funds permit.

Here are a few neat pics of me while shooting at the 3D targets.

5032094238_d8ccf9949c.jpg

5031475167_c91b5455a2.jpg

5031478213_9a0364a611.jpg

5031474131_7f4a415e0a.jpg

Defensive pistol courses are great, but defiantly a must is practice. Repetitions make things permanent and give you a "learned instinct" to fall on if need be. I commend you for taking the course. Keep on shootin :)

My recommendation after you take a class like this is to write down the different drills so you can easily recall and practice them later.

Mudinyeri has a good point. It will defiantly help later. I would suggest maybe finding a range partner interested in the same shooting style and go together. With a shooting partner you have someone to critique you and keep your skills sharp. Someone that understands that when you come out from behind the barrel you should have some stand off from your cover and should limit you exposure. Things like that.

Mudinyeri said:
My recommendation after you take a class like this is to write down the different drills so you can easily recall and practice them later.

That is the first thing I did! :)

Ripcode said:
Mudinyeri said:

That is the first thing I did! :)

Excellent, same here with each class I take. I repeat classes and find that I pick up on points missed in previous classes. I also repeat classes because I can train in ways that my local square range club would never allow. Training is absolutely crucial to responsibly carrying concealed. Good on you and keep at it.

Back