• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which sling do you use?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am looking into a sling for both my Mossberg 500HD as well as my Mossberg 4x4 bolt action. I was wondering what others here are using?

I prefer, and have orders for 5 of the M1907 military rifle slings. All are for SG's, one for my own. They are very practical as a tool, not just to carry a rifle into the field, but also to help steady your aim. They are a 2 piece sling, with 2 points of adjustment that allows the user to form a loop in the upper piece to slip your arm into it just behind your elbow, so by placing your weak hand on the forend you are creating a fulcrum if you will to kinda lock your position.

m24 I know has these on his rifles, and can prob explain in better words.

What is your primary intended use for the 500HD? If it is in-home use, I would forego the sling.

Sling will be mainly for the mossberg 4x4 bolt action but figured I would get one to use on both firearms.

This is my 500 in home defense mode. It's got a homemade rig on it that I made from 1" tubular webbing. I believe a sling and a light to be indespensable for a home defense long gun.
500_10.jpg

My bolt gun has a military leather sling knock off. I haven't gotten to the point where I shoot slung so it's just used as a carry strap at this point
788308_11.jpg

Here's why I want a sling on an HD gun-
I may need to unlock a door, move something quietly, use a phone, enter a code, manipulate objects in the environment, hold onto a kid, drag an injured/wounded/incapacitated family member, or otherwise use one or both hands. If any of those conditions arise, I would prefer to sling the shotgun and keep it on my person, or use the sling to help support the shotgun as opposed to putting the shotgun down somewhere, probably in the dark, and in a dynamic situation.
Shotguns are to slings as pistols are to holsters.
Not everybody wants a sling on an HD shotgun, and that's fine. But there is absolutely no need to be dismissive of one either. Just because one person may not see a use for a sling does not meant that there is not a use for the sling. There is a way, but there may not be the way.
I understand the concern about snagging. Here is how I keep a conventional 2 point:

590a1.jpg

That's pretty much how I run my pump guns. You can keep a sling on there and minimize the snag danger while being able to maintain control of the shotgun and not have to worry about setting the shotgun down.
The adjustable two points and even some of the three points can be cinched up more. A single point obviously is even lower profile.
Slings have limitations, the same as they have capabilities. As long as you are aware of them, train with them, and operate with both in mind you be fine. Just attaching a sling because it looks nice or assuming that it will automatically increase your skills and capabilities is naive and potentially dangerous.

To breakdown slings for different things-
On a bolt gun I run the M1907 which I need to remember to measure for Rosingnol. I'm going to be trying a TAB sling soon.

SPSTCDI510rnd.jpg

For AR rifles and carbines, I like the adjustable two points usually.

100_1206.jpg

sdmbobro2ovrhdwm-1.jpg

On auto shotguns, I usually run an adjustable two point.

930spxnobwm.jpg

There is one and only one three point sling that I like on rifles and the shotgun, and that is the Gear Sector GS-3P. Outside of this one, I have never found a three point that I like and will use.

100_1210.jpg

On short barrel carbines and shotguns, I like the single points.

gearsectorasp.jpg

I've been running a GI strap on my SBS, and I also got an adjustable bungee single and two point sling from Original SOE Gear that I'm trying out. I typically have not liked the bungee slings in the past, but after running the two point for a little while I kind of like some aspects of it.
I'll posts some pics of those if I get time tomorrow.

I use the Blackhawk 3 point tactical. I like it, not necessarily for HD, but is good for using hunting in the brush. After my time as a SAW gunner, I wanted something similar to use that I could carry my 590 through dense woods and have at the ready for target acquisition in one movement. Many of you have seen it I'm sure, but I'll post pics later.

I should be able to have pics of an M1907 sling I made that I'm using on my 590A1, in another day or two.

Rossignol, those pics totally slipped my mind. Sorry I didn't get them to you but it sounds like they've been overtaken by events.

m24shooter said:
Rossignol, those pics totally slipped my mind. Sorry I didn't get them to you but it sounds like they've been overtaken by events.

No worries! :) I got it flingered out!

M1907 styled sling on my 590A1. This wasnt intended for my gun, but I made a couple mistakes while I was making it, and it was the first I had done. I think I got the kinks worked out! ;)

I really like the way it adjusts and looks. And for me to carry into the field, its great!

74146_1486678322001_1085205913_31130352_676267_n.jpg

I'll post more pics over in my section!

I have never met a 3 pt sling that I liked. It might be something to do with the fact that I don't really know how to use one. The rig I use is a 2pt sling, composite of single ply 1" strap and the hardware off of an Alice pack shoulder strap...currently it has been lost in my recent move. As soon I find it I'll post a good pic of it.

I won't use a 3 point. Too much strap, in the way of the controls on an AR, difficult to impossible to shoot from the off shoulder, difficult to impossible to get to prone, and trying to get one out of a vehicle is like having an octopus rape your rifle, steering wheel, and self all at the same time.
That said, the Gear Sector version pretty much eliminates those problems with the ability to instantly transition to a single point without any kind of buckle to release. You just zip the slider from the foward position to your firing shoulder with the support hand.
It's not a true three point, but that is the closest comparison you can make. Jason hasn't released them, and as far as I know the only ones out there are the prototype models that he sent to some of us. I really like mine, but he's focusing on several other proprietary products for now.

I know this isn't a Mossberg, but here' my 870P with a USGI sling with the metal hardware removed (it's a little lighter and quieter that way). I figure I don't need all the benefits of the USGI sling for a shotgun like I would for my Garand. I try to keep the shotgun as simple as possible.

018.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

Back