• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR Hunter wont Chamber Round.

Kookers

Copper BB
Bought a mmr hunter awhile back. finally got a chance to shoot it. gun will not chamber first round ever. the round jams straight into the feed ramp. using factory 5 round clip. gun will cycle with factory clip after you get first one chambered. tryed 3 different ammos and a aftermarket clip. all same result. aftermarket clip wouldnt cycle at all. will get pics when later on. anyone else see this problem

Howdy @Kookers .

How do you usually chamber the first round? Are you letting the bolt slam shut after you pull the charging handle back, are you using the bolt catch release, or are you slowly closing the chamber by hand? The factory mag spring may be a bit stiff and be putting too much pressure on the top round, causing the FTL issue. Will the mag feed properly if you load it one round short? Might just need to run the mag for a while to break it in. Also, polishing the feed ramp would be a good idea...

Doesn't matter what clip or how I chamber it bullet gets stuck in ramp on both sides. leaves physical marks on projectile.

Sorry should have known better on the clip talk!! They do have a m4 style ramp. I talked with Mossberg and will be sending it in to have looked at.

I sent it in still waiting to get it back:mad:. Said they are replacing the upper. And waiting for parts. I'm not impressed will be going up for sale as soon as it gets back. I wanted to like it!!

I know how you feel. Like, you get a car that you really wanted...but it keeps breaking down, goes into the shop three times in the first couple months. Maybe they've fixed all the problems...or maybe it's just one of those lemons that will never be "right". How can you trust it?

But your problem with ammo feeding sounded like an alignment issue to me. With a new upper, it could be good. Why not take it to the range and feed a couple hundred rounds through it. Maybe you can still get to love it, who knows? If it's not perfect, then sell it. Just saying....

I hope to get my new Hunter to the range soon. I hope I don't experience your problems.

Good luck.

Wondering if it might be the feed lips on the mag. My new Patrol was doing the same thing. Used pliers and slightly lifted the lips both front and back and it seems to be working. The rifle also worked fine with an LAR-15 mag.

Which brand aftermarket magazine did you try?

AR15 magazines and followers are NOT all created equal.

Which brand aftermarket magazine did you try?

AR15 magazines and followers are NOT all created equal.

I tried an AT-15 pistol mag and it did not work - follower seemed to be to high and the bolt would catch when trying to chamber a round. The LAR-15 pistol mag seems to work fine. These are the only two I've tried. The stock Mossberg mag seems to be working o.k. after adjusting the lips upward but have to give it a workout at the range to verify.

OK, so I assume that you don't have access to regular AR15 magazines ????

I can see how that can be a problem.

I was afraid it was something like that.

Everyone knows that a firearm is only as good as the magazine that feeds it. And with a lack of good magazines, reliability usually takes a hit.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum...

im in south Dakota. I work at an ffl we tried other Mossberg mag from another gun and pmags neither worked. Mossberg received it nov 9th. I talked with them again today and are still waiting on an upper. 3 months??? come on. think we'll be sending our couple other rifles back to distributor if this is how the service side of things go.

Back