• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.300 AAC Blackout barrels for the MVP

wood chucker

Supporter
Tony Rumores company Tromix is producing barrels for the 5.56 MVP in .300 AAC Blackout caliber.

They are making three variations, an 11 inch 16.5 inch contoured the same as Mossys 16.25 and 18.5 medium bull barrels and a svelte 19 inch barrel contoured the same as the 20 inch tube of the Predator.

MVP300BLKcan_zps4981fe12.jpg

MVP300BLKBbl_zps6dd5f0cb.jpg

MVPJamNut_zps8e0ac555.jpg

MVPTools_zps4ac2e9e6.jpg

MVPRecFixture_zpsf3858264.jpg

This is good news for guys using muzzle mounted hearing protection.

It's also good news for those of living where .223 isn't allowed for big game.
.300 black with lighter bullets at supersonic speeds is nothing to sneeze at !
A compact 6.75 pound package with .30 caliber whomp makes a nice hog/deer/bush rifle.

Edit} three and 11 inch

Last edited:
neet option, options are good

I almost went here with my pistol build.....cost of reloading components ran me off of it

You might want to do some double checking just to be sure they were giving you correct prices.

The 300 BLK is pretty cheap to load by comparison to most cartridges. It runs just about any .30 caliber bullet on 8 to 18 grains of powder.

Lots of guys are reporting good results with coated hard cast and cast gas check bullets too.

Hard cast sounds like a good option. I really don't have room for a blackout. I don't think I'll be suppressed for some time if ever really....neet device but I really have no need to be quiet. i load top shelf 556 for max .21 a round , I have a ton loaded, a ton of components . For me a blackout makes no since

I agree with you. I don't bother with stuff that don't serve my purpose either.

I don't have any suppressors and I don't have any interest in the sub sonic side of the .300 Blk. It's the cheap side and the super sonic sides that I like.

As mentioned before the dang thing is cheap to load and makes use of the charge with maximum efficiency.

In the super sonic lighter bullet loadings it gives x39 or almost 30-30 like performance iwith moa or better accuracy in a package less than a yard long weighing 6.5 pounds.

In the super sonic lighter bullet loadings it gives x39 or almost 30-30 like performance iwith moa or better accuracy in a package less than a yard long weighing 6.5 pounds.

That's what I like about it too, I was seconds from going that way with my pistol.....I overloaded on research. I don't know what your loading them for but with what I have, no powder for it, no die.....you know start up cost, powder search.
My numbers showed I could load 69 grain Nosler CC for cheaper than plinking rounds in 300.
If I remember quick math I could load 62 grain barns TSX in the neighborhood of 150ish grain FMJ 300.
I defiantly like the x39 and 30-30 ....it would be a neat hunting companion I thought but I have a couple -06's and a 30-30 ....270.
I really tried to justify it lol

However I just buttoned up an 8" blackout for a close friend and any reloading tips or resources would be greatly appreciated

I got one and here's the range test results I posted on TOS

"The sporter barrel is rifled six groove right hand twist of on turn in eight inches and contoured to match the barrel channel of the MVP predator stock. Muzzle threads are single point cut 5/8"-24 tpi and dead concentric with the bore with no chatter marks. Crown is cut at 11*, slightly dished and highly polished. Barrels exterior is done up in ceraacote which was skillfully applied blemish free in a shade that looks like blueing. She's a beauty.

P0124151942a.jpg
From left to right
Sharky .300 Blk 7 twist made on a Mike Rock 5R blank, Tromix .300 Blk 8 twist light sporter, MVP 20 inch 5.56 fluted & threaded cut down from a factory 24", Mossberg factory 24 5.56"

Action block/ recoil lug holder and barrel nut wrench are machined from a 4140 chrome molly billets. Pin spanner is CnC’d from S7 tool steel, heat treated and surface ground on the inside of the spanner radius. These tool are dead on, finely burnished and entirely suitable for use by the professional gunsmith.

0208152354a.jpg

Barrel was given three passes with a bore snake and installed on a standard MVP Predator topped off with a Millet 4x-16x mil dot scope.
P1190890 - Copy - Copy.JPG

then I rounded up what factory ammo I could find on the economy.

three boxes Remington UMC 220 grain OT FB bullet L300AAC4 Lot # 21442 U21AC1

one box PNW Arms 147 grain FMJBT bullet, Lot #38051

two boxes Remington Remington UMC 120 grain OT FB bullets L300AAC1 Lot# A243-1279N-2

Doesn't make for the most comprehensive of testing but gives an idea. Here's some 100 yard targets fired on a cold wet windy day prone from the bipod,no bag and the rifle taken out of the LSS chassis and put back in the laminate stock.

P1190887 - Copy - resized - Copy.JPG

P1190888 - Copy - Copy.JPG
P1190889 - Copy - resized - Copy.JPG

The 220's averaged 3/4 moa, the 147's 1.8 moa and the 120's averaged 1.0.

I won't say the barrel don't like the middle weights because I have not shot it with any155 Palmas. I will say the 147 grain stuff is loaded with FMJ ball bullets and the barrel shot the 147's as good as ball ammo can shoot.

Towards the end of the ammo it fired some scary good groups which I will not post unless I can duplicate them. I am looking for more ammo from the same lots in order to do so.

P1190891 - Copy.JPG

I like this rifle. It's a hoot to shoot in both calibers.

Last edited:
Is the blackout threaded in 1/2-28 too?

Most companies are threaded 5/8-24 for the 30 cal's.

I understand that it's more than possible to thread a 30 cal in 1/2-28 and there is technically nothing wrong with it. Just that the "military" wants 30 and 22 caliber threaded differently so stupid people can't screw on a 22 cal muzzle device onto a 30 caliber barrel, but for those that actually KNOW what they're doing, is a non-issue.

The only drawback to having a blackout barrel threaded 1/2-28 is that blackout is considered a very good round to suppress and most 30 caliber suppressors are not threaded in 1/2-28, even though as I mentioned above, it would work.

For that matter, many 9mm suppressors are threaded for 1/2-28 and they're considerably larger diameter than a 30 caliber bullet. ~.356

Just sayin'.

Thanks that's a good catch,I fixed it to 5/8-24. Both the Sharky and Tromix 300 barrels are threaded 5/8-24 and both have been tested with a bunch of standard 30 cal muzzle devices. Got some weird looks with a couple of them.

Due to very poor sales, all Tromix 300 blackout barrels have been discontinued. There is no remaining inventory on hand.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Super late to this party, but looking to add some spice to my MVP. After 4 months of falling down the rabbit hole of dead threads and lots of classifieds searching and fingers crossed, I'm hoping for a little help. If anybody can point me in the direction of a switch barrel setup I'd greatly appreciate it. I've also joined MossbergMVP forum, but have yet to be confirmed/accepted over there.

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the Mossberg MMR, so my earlier/edited reply is not going to pertain to it.

But if it's anything like the AR15, since they're both based on the 223 case, the barrel change should be the only part that's needed to my knowlege.

Howdy John, thanks for your rapid reply. Didn't mean to imply that this forum was associated with the other I mentioned, just that I'd joined another forum specific to the MVP platform. There's a member I've seen both on this forum and the other one who has an MVP with both 5.56 and 300blk barrels utilizing a double barrel nut so that headspace is set and barrels can be quick changed. I'm not looking to just change to 300blk, but looking to utilize both calibers with my MVP. I've never seen a system like that in person but I like the concept.

Wood Chucker, I'm looking to get the switch barrel done on my MVP (finally) and I'm trying to find a gunsmith that is comfortable doing it. None that I have found in my area have done it before, and are not comfortable doing it on someone else's rifle. I already have the 19" Tromix barrel (shows you how long I've been beating around the bush on this) along with the tool set that I ordered with it.

Back