• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is it possible to increase the carrying capacity of my 410?

jbbrewer

Copper BB
I recently bought the 410 version from Academy Sports for because of the brand, price, and size. I loaded it with Winchester PDX1's for my wife. She's scared of anything bigger and couldn't hit the proverbial broad side of a barn with a side-arm. Would it be possible to have a gunsmith extend the magazine tube? I seriously doubt anyone will ever produce an after-market tube, but would like a little more capacity. Or, is there an alternative solution I'm overlooking? :?:
Bryant

Re: Is it possible to increase the carrying capacity of my 4

I am currently unaware of any aftermarket magazine extension tubes for the mossberg 510 mini (.410) and I too would be surprised if they made one any time soon. As for any other options besides the one you mentioned (custom extension via a gunsmith) I do not know of any others. You might want to give mossberg a call directly as they may know something we don't when it comes to using a different models extension magazine. I will do a little research to see if there is any other options for you but I doubt I will find much.

BTW welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum. Its great to have you as part of our growing community!

Unfortunately I believe your only option to extend the magazine on your mossberg 510 mini with .410 will be to have it custom done by a gunsmith. I have not seen any other options for it. If you do get it done by a gunsmith I would love to see it (if you wouldn't mind posting up pictures).

I believe, based on my dealings with Mossberg, they will likely refer you to Choat Machining, but for the .410, it would almost definitely have to be custom machined. What is the capacity? Our .410 holds 5 2 1/2" shells after removing the dowel from the mag tube. I dont know if the 510 Mini is any different...

I'm thinking of getting the 20g. Anybody know of a choate mag extension that will work for it? I can get no answers from Mossberg or Brownell's about this.

The 510 appears to have the same magazine arrangement as the 500. The end of the magazine is effectively closed and the barrel lug only has a hole big enough for the bolt that holds it in place. In order to increase the magazine capacity it would be necessary to remove the lug from the barrel and solder/braze/weld it on closer to the muzzle end of the barrel. Then a new magazine tube would have to be fabricated and attached. I would imagine this to cost a whole lot more that a whole new gun.

sjohnny said:
The 510 appears to have the same magazine arrangement as the 500. The end of the magazine is effectively closed and the barrel lug only has a hole big enough for the bolt that holds it in place. In order to increase the magazine capacity it would be necessary to remove the lug from the barrel and solder/braze/weld it on closer to the muzzle end of the barrel. Then a new magazine tube would have to be fabricated and attached. I would imagine this to cost a whole lot more that a whole new gun.

I agree with Johnny, It would be totally custom and youd likely to do well with another model.

Thank you Rossignol!
Your recommendation on the taking out the dowel from the mag tube were exactly what I was looking for... I just couldn't believe that Mossberg would make a shotgun with only 3 round capacity... very frustrating but what a relief. Thank you for sharing your insight!

Youre welcome! I understand what youre saying, I didnt realize it at first either when I got my 8 shot Persuader and could only get 2 rounds in the magazine!

Mossberg Owners wasnt around back then, but eventually I realized during cleaning that I could hear somethin rattling in the magazine. Turned it over and shook it till the thing came out! :D

Well I have wondered about making a variant I've taken to calling the "510 Terrier" (Sure it's little....But it's Mean!)

It would involve taking a magazine tube from either the 50104 Field shotgun (500E) or Magazine tube from the 50455 (500E Cruiser) and having that put on the 510-mini,so the 510 could accept barrels from the cruiser .410 (18.5 inch cylinder bore) and the field shotgun.

That's the only way I could think of increasing the capacity and versitility of the 510,Just something I would advise against is the use of the Winchester PDX-1 410 shells,the reason being is over pressure that could blow the extractor,it happened to a friend of mine on his DFG MK-2 (of which he fed it a steady diet of,I tested the PDX-1 but stopped after noticing excessive recoil from the DFG Mk-1)

The best bet for defensive ammo would be federal 3-inch #4 buck,and federal 2-1/2 inch '000' buck.

I have fed my DFG MK-1 a steady diet of both and haven't had a problem of any kind.

The Winchester PDX-1 410 should be used in either revolvers,or stonger action long guns,Break actions,The Rossi Lever action .410 (which is built much like the Marlin 336)/Rossi Circut Judge Revolver (the Circut Judge and other revolvers do have the B/C gap that allows for some of the excess gases to vent out)

If you are talking about the 510E youth bantam it holds 3. #50358

The 510 comes with a dowel in the mag tube? How many rounds will it hold without the dowel?

I can just barely fit 3, using some federal shot. but if I get em in, they usually pop out. Pain in the butt....

Back