• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 with insight forend light

Picked up a 18.5" 590a1 this week. It's the model with the insight forend. I have already ordered a 12" LOP hogue stock. I would also like to add a heatshield and the s&j +2 mag extension. A couple of questions.

Does mossberg make a heatshield that fits the heavy walled barrel of the A1? Or is the aimpro the best option? Where would the best place to order either of these be?

Also for the s&j +2 mag extension, it says the product is no longer available on there website. Does anybody know where I can get one? Or is there an alternative option that is high quality and is flush with the barrel end?

Thanks for any input.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.

I agree with the above from Shooter, the OFM heatshield is your best bet.

Some retailers may still have the S&J magazine extension but otherwise Nordic Components is probably the best choice though also probably more expensive.

Here's a pic with the 12" hogue stock and 3 gun gear velcro side saddle. still want to add a heat shield and +2 mag extension that ends flush with the barrel. Also probably a sling. Gun does feel maybe a bit short now with the 12" stock. Haven't fired it yet with the new stock, perhaps a limb saver will be need to add a little length back?
upload_2016-1-22_11-57-15.png

Got a chance to fire the 590 with the 12" hogue. Felt just a little short. Think I'm gonna order up a limb saver and see how it feels.

I believe just from the input of others, that the Limbsaver will do the trick and be a good fit for you.

The factory A1 heat shield will not fit the 18.5 barrel you have. The barrel lug is right where the screw holes are for the heat shield. As me how I know. It might be possible to make it work by modifying some of the parts, but it looked like a lot of work to me. Hold out for the S&J extension if you can, it's a work of art, but expensive. Mine was $90 for a +2.

I've never used the surefire forend, bet I really like this insight. Comfortable grip, is a little bigger then most forends, but I actually like that, feels good. Still haven't been able to locate s&j extension so I ordered the choate +1 4.25" extension. Seeing that mossberg uses the choate extension from the factory settles good with me.

I still want to add a 2 point sling, but want it to mount in between the barrel and mag tube on the left side. I'm hoping this would prevent the sling from blocking the forend light. Does anybody have any recommendations for sling mounts to do this?

I've never used the surefire forend, bet I really like this insight. Comfortable grip, is a little bigger then most forends, but I actually like that, feels good. Still haven't been able to locate s&j extension so I ordered the choate +1 4.25" extension. Seeing that mossberg uses the choate extension from the factory settles good with me.

I still want to add a 2 point sling, but want it to mount in between the barrel and mag tube on the left side. I'm hoping this would prevent the sling from blocking the forend light. Does anybody have any recommendations for sling mounts to do this?

Try gggaz.com / mossberg sling attachments. I use the "quick detach" with an Insight forearm on a 590A1.

I installed the choate +1 mag extension and used the stock follower so that it is really a +2. Had to trim the spring down to allow me to add 2 extra shells. They fit, but it doesn't cycle rounds as nicely as it should, and the last round doesn't really "click" in. I read somewhere that a new spring will fix that, I think it was a wolf spring or something. I can't find where I read that anymore. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or know a solution for this?

I have the choate extension with a wolff spring and I fit +2 just fine in mine. I think you read the thing about clipping the spring on shotgunworld forums.

Can you figure out how to change the bulb?

I have that same light on my 500 but I didn't get any instructions with it.

Did the choate come with a spring?

Yes the choate came with a spring and a follower. The follower is much longer than the stock follower. So I used the stock follower and the choate spring. Had to trim the choate spring a little to fit the extra shell in, but after trimmed it doesn't work as nicely as it should. Going to order the wolf spring and try that out.

Well bulbs do fail, but since it's an LED, maybe it's soldered in permanently and you cannot change it.

I thought maybe you got some printed instructions with yours, which told you how the light comes apart. I didn't get any paperwork with my shotgun because it was a returned item.

As far as I can tell it's permanently glued together and you cannot take the bulb out.

Back